Johnny x Reader: "First Prize"

"Why did you enter the Steel Ball Run Race?" Many people asked you this question. Sometimes you even asked yourself. You weren't trained as a jockey, but every day since you learned to ride, you would venture out on one of your family's horses. You knew them all by name, and made sure no one was left out of your morning routine; you gave each one your care and attention. And that was why you wanted to ride across the countryside; to see the forests and deserts and everything in between. Nature was the only thing that cleared your mind, the only place where you felt at peace.

But that day you led your horse up to the starting line, something unexpected happened. You noticed a man, in one of the pens, being dragged by the reins of his horse. Though the steed wove his trail this way and that, battered him, trampled him,the man did not cry out in pain. You soon realised why: he couldn't feel his injuries. He seemed to be paralysed from the waist down. Then, just as you were prepared to call out for help, the beast suddenly stopped to bow its head. You made your way through the crowd and to the pen, leading your mare just behind. The two of you locked eyes.

"Are you doing okay over there?" Your voice quivered, still somewhat scared for his safety.

"I'm fine," he grunted as he pulled himself up onto one of the stirrups. "Leave me alone." He retorted in a rude tone. It was surprising to note that in just a few weeks the two of you would become such good friends.

You chose to take the scenic route whenever possible, and often ended up meeting this man, whose name, you learned, was Johnny Joestar. Between stages you would meet up with him and his friend, Gyro Zeppeli. However, generally, Johnny was off sulking in a corner while you and Gyro started cracking stupid jokes.

Still, it was rare for you to bond with anyone like this. Generally, you were quiet in crowds. You didn't make conversation, you just fidgeted, and observed your surroundings. But these two were different.

You eventually got into a routine of setting up your camp for the night after a long day of riding. The three of you would lay down blankets, start a fire, then talk about anything that struck your fancy. You would discuss the results of the race to the stars in the sky. While Gyro would boast about his inevitable first place win, you noticed how Johnny was more noble with his intentions. He wanted to win back himself, to regain control of his life. And that was what you admired about him.

"This seems like a good spot," You noted the smooth and grassy ground of the clearing, and the fiery glow of the sun descending over the horizon. Gyro leapt off of Valkyrie, moving to detach the sleeping bag from his luggage. You eased off your saddle and over to Slow Dancer, offering your arms out to Johnny. He dragged both his legs to one side of the saddle and reached out to slide into your arms.

Though you did this for him every night, your heart raced each time. Over the weeks, you had grown to appreciate Johnny's almost dark sense of humour, his physical and emotional strength despite his situation. You wouldn't deny that you were attracted to him, even Gyro could see through your behavior, as he teased you about it regularly. You knew you had to tell Johnny eventually. But each day you woke up, saw his face just feet away from you, and thought 'maybe tomorrow'. And each night he slid from his horse into your arms and you cursed your own cowardice.

You placed Johnny tenderly on the bedroll Gyro had laid for him, eyeing his form as he shifted until he was comfortable. He gave you a glance, at which point you quickly left to start the fire. Gyro returned with several twigs and branches, then leaned over and whispered in your ear.

"Seems like there's a stream nearby. I'll go give the horses some water." He snickered "And in the meantime, the two of you can have fun!" Your face flushed red.

"Hey," he said "You might never get an opportunity like this again." You opened your mouth to protest.

"All I'm saying," he began again, "Is that you have to tell him sometime. Trust me, I'm just trying to help you out." A genuine smile spread across his face. This was not the jokester Gyro that you were used to. For once, he actually seemed to be serious. After all, he was your friend too. He and Johnny were the only ones you had in this world. And you had to be honest with him. You cursed under your breath.

"I'm blaming you if something goes wrong." He laughed and patted your back, to which you rolled your eyes and shoved him away. You didn't want to be pushed into this situation, but it was probably for the best. You peered over at Johnny, who was lying on his back, gazing into the sky. Slowly, you unrolled your sleeping bag next to his.

"Hey." you started, sitting criss-crossed on your blanket. He glanced over at you. You froze. What were you even supposed to say? Do you just tell him? Do you ask him first? You took a deep breath, deciding that you would just be completely truthful, you would open up your heart.

"So, I have to tell you something..." He used his arms to push himself into a sitting position; at least he seemed vaguely interested. Still, you looked down at your fidgeting hands as you continued to speak.

"You and Gyro, you're my friends. My only friends. I feel so... alive around the two of you. I've never felt like this with anyone before. You," you dared to look up into his eyes. His expression was thoughtful and earnest, and encouraged you to continue.

"I really like you, hell, maybe I even love you," You rubbed your neck and looked down "And... Umm..." you paused. There it was. You had said it.

"Yeah." you finished "That's all I wanted to say." You cursed at yourself mentally and fiddled with your fingers, anxiously, awaiting a response. Slowly, you tilted your head upwards to as Johnny's hand clasped yours, holding the fidgeting fingers still. You gazed into his sapphire eyes, pleading for him to say something. He finally broke the silence.

"How?" What? What did he mean how? That's not what you say when someone confides their true feelings in you!

"I'm sorry, god, I don't even know what to say..." You could feel the slightest bit of hope you had waning.

"You are so beautiful," Your chest seemed to flutter, regaining its hope.

"You are so beautiful and kind and angelic. How could you have feelings for someone like me?" He continued, while your stomach felt slightly queasy. Was this a no? A yes? A maybe? Before you could stop yourself, you blurted out:

"Johnny, do you love me?!" He paused, eyes locked onto yours, as you begged him for any sort of hint.

"I haven't done this in a while, so I might be a bit rusty. But this might answer your question." He leaned into you, supporting his weight on one arm as his opposing hand grazed your cheek. You sat, somewhat stupefied, as his soft lips brushed against your mouth. You slowly closed your eyes and wrapped your arms around his back, pulling him closer. You were still in shock, but all you wanted was to feel his warmth against your chest. He paused for just a moment, giving you a chance to breath.

"I do." He smiled. You brought your hand up to feel his own hand, which was still cupped against your cheek. Overcome with emotions, you brought his hand away. He gazed at you questioningly, until you stretched one leg over his torso. He lay flat on the ground, your lips inching nearer to his.

This time the kiss was rough and passionate. You swayed to the rhythm of his hips as you ran one hand down his chest, latching the other into his hair. His arms grasped around your back and your waist, pulling you even closer, as though this would be his only chance. He softly licked your bottom lip, and you unexpectedly moaned as he kissed you even more fiercely. When you were gasping for breath, you pulled away to trail kisses down his cheek, his jawline, his neck. You stopped for a moment. Johnny noticed your dilemma. You wouldn't admit to yourself that you wanted to go even further. But Johnny offered as his hands slid from your waist to the bottom of his shirt.

"Alright, that's enough!" You groaned, not out of pleasure, but exasperation, as Gyro emerged from the woods. "We've got a long day's ride tomorrow, and you don't want to get sore!" he winked. Your face flushed red at the thought, and you scrambled away from your compromising position.

"AWW!" Johnny whined. "Who care about the race?" He paused to look at you.

"I've already won first prize."