Chapter Three - Brandy

just a wayward warning, I don't usually have the time to read over things before posting, so I apologize profusely in advance for any mistakes or misspellings. Enjoy!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thinking on it, Papa was bound to find out that I went into the jungle either way. So, to stick true to the honesty I’ve always held high, I decided to walk inside instead of trying to climb back up the tree - something that was definitely not going to work.

The door creaks as I swing it open. Nonchalance is my goal here. No sounds reach my ears as I step through the living rooms and head towards the stairs. I’m close now, almost to my room.

But alas, Lady Luck was never fond of me.

“Elizabeth Marie Smith,” my father’s voice reaches me from the study.

I step inside the study, following his call. His back in towards me as he stares out the window. Which just so happens to have a nice view of the jungle. Where I just came out.

“Yes, Papa?”

“Often, I wonder how lucky I am to have been gifted with an amazing daughter like you,” Papa sighs. He’s still facing the window, and I know I’m about to be reprimanded. “Then there are times like these where I curse my luck for raises a child that is so like I once was.”

The tone of voice Papa uses sends a feeling akin to snakes slithering around in my gut. It is one I was once used to hearing, but as I behaved and got older, I have heard less and less. I do not reply. Instead, I lower my head and wait for the final blow.

“You are not to step foot in the jungle at all until I can trust you to keep your word and wits about you, Elizabeth. You are not to come with me and the expeditions. You are not even allowed one foot into the trees. If you cannot listen to one simple request, then I cannot trust you to listen to important instructions during dangerous situations.” Papa turns his head slightly, but to a point where he still isn’t looking at me - which hurts more than his words. “Do I make myself clear?”

“Yes, Papa,” I answer, careful to keep my voice steady.

“Go.. clean your room or read a book or something. I’ll be back before sundown with the crew,” Papa grunts before pushing past me and heading out of the house.

I wait until I hear the door shut before heading to my room and standing in the window. I can see the exploration group readying themselves. Not one woman in sight.

“Ugh!” I grunt, kicking my empty chest. I have had Papa mad at me in this way many of times, and it always stings the same. He is more disappointed over anything. It doesn’t help that I went against him so soon after just arriving here. Now I just have to wait a week or so before he cools off about it. One. Long. Week. If not longer..

Deciding it is better to be productive than to sit and wallow in my own guilt and self-disappointment, I grab my drawing pad and charcoal and head downstairs to the sitting room. A large window seat resides in the corner, with the perfect amount of lighting.

I’m not upset that Papa became angry with me. He was perfectly correct that I should not wander into the jungle alone. Look at what happened! I got lost and almost flattened by elephants. And I was only in the jungle for moments. Moments. Papa has every right to stall my exploration, I think as I pull out my charcoals and flip to an empty page. My hands get to work sketching, and I let them have full reign. My mind is practically blank and I don’t even think about what I’m drawing.

I stay that way until the sun is almost down; it is just about time for the explorers to be back. I glance down at the little chimp on the paper. He’s sitting on a tree over the water and elephants are fighting in the background. Every little detail is filled in.