15

You woke up a few hours later to darkness.

You were still in Steve's bed.

You rolled over to see Steve in a chair next to the bed.

He was looking at a piece of paper.

"Hey you." You spoke gaining his attention.

He looked up before lifting up the paper in his hands. "I got in."

Your heart sunk upon seeing the official army seal.

"So that's it then." You stated rather than asked.

He put the paper down and got up. "No. Elle. No. That's not it. We still have us. I'll be with you until I die."

"So what? Like two weeks?" You snapped.

He frowned.

"Elle. It's not like that. It won't be like that."

You clenched your jaw and tried not to cry. You wrapped the blanket tightly around your naked body and got out of the bed reaching down to grab your clothes.

"What are you doing Elle?"

"I'm just gonna go Steven."

"Why?"

"We just made love for the first time. I completely gave myself to you and all you want to talk about is leaving me."

"Eleanor you know it's not like that. I couldn't be happier about what we just did. But this makes me happy too. I get to fight for you out there."

"Who's gonna fight for me here? Huh? Who's gonna stick up for me whenever someone catcalls me or says something disgusting? You'll be over there and I'll be here. Alone."

"You'll be here safe." He argued.

"Sure." You continued walking to the bathroom.

You quickly changed and carried his sheet back to his bed.

Steve wasn't in the room.

You left the room and saw Steve in the hallways with tears in his eyes.

You looked away.

"Elle. Please." He spoke his voice gently breaking. "We can't keep fighting. We love each other right?"

You finally looked at him.

"Yes." You answered.

"Then we can do this. We can make it though this. I need you Elle. More than you know. You make me happier than I could have ever imagined. I can't live without you."

"Steven-"

"Just listen please. I will do anything to keep you. Anything. Even if that means not going to fight. I will stay here with you if that's what you want. It can be me and you until we grow old and die."

"No. You're going Steven. You know you want to and I don't want to stop you from that. Yes it'll be harder than we imagine but we can do it. You said it yourself, we love each other."

He smiled and sniffed back tears."I love you so goddamn much." He pulled you into him.

Now it was your turn to cry.

How many more hugs or times would you hear him say he loved you?

"Don't cry darlin. Nothing'll happen to me. I'll come back to you."

You smiled. "You better or I'll kick your ass before those Nazi's get a chance to."

He laughed and you pulled away. "I should get going. I've got to check on my mom."

"Let me come with you. It's been a few days since I've seen her."

"Yeah sure. Come on."

You both headed out the door and strolled down the street hand in hand until you reached home.

"Mom!" You called out when you walked inside.

"In the kitchen." She shouted back.

You followed the voice and saw her standing at the stove.

You let go of Steve's hand and gave her a hug and kiss.

"Hi darling." She hugged back.

"Hi mom how are you?"

"Good, not much work at the hospital last night so didn't have to work like a mad woman." She laughed,"Oh hello Steve. How are you?"

He smiled,"I'm doing fine ma'am thank you. It's good to see you."

"So polite this one. What were you two up to last night?" She asked.

"Uh." You froze.

"I took her out of the city a bit to gaze at the stars."

Your mom smiled at Steve's lie.
"That's beautiful Steve. Absolutely romantic. You're a lucky one Eleanor."

You smiled and decided to get a cup of water while your mom and Steve lightly chatted.

"So when are you two gonna get married?" She asked causing you to spit your water everywhere.

"MOM!" You shouted almost out of breath.

She smiled,"What? I can't ask."

"It's too soon mom."

"Is it?" Steve cut in.

Your eyes widened.

"I mean. We love each other right?" He asked. He always asked that specific question. It was your thing.

"Right." You responded.

"And you want to spend the rest of your life with me like I want to spend the rest of mine with you right?"

"Right." You squeaked out.

"Then who cares when we get married? I mean that's if you want to get married to me."

"Steve maybe we should talk about this privately?"

He cocked his head to the side,"Why? I don't care who knows it. I wanna marry you Elle."