9

"You know Elle..." Steven began as we took our walk. "These past few months have been amazing. With my mom passing and Bucky in Europe I didn't think I could be happy. Definitely not this happy but then you just came into my life and proved me wrong."

You smiled widely," That makes me so happy. I was worried you maybe didn't want to be with me."

His eyes widened,"I always want to be with you." He stopped causing you to stop also.

He took your hands in his before kissing them.
"Elle. I'm in love with you."

Your heart soared.
"I...I love you too Steven."

He let out a sigh,"Oh man, that's great! I'm so relieved."

"You didn't think I'd feel the same?"

He nodded nervously.

"Steven we just had an argument about me not wanting to lose you in the army. Why wouldn't I feel the same?"

He shook his head"I don't know. I was just worried."

"Well that's silly. You shouldn't worry about that."

He smiled,"I'll keep that in mind."

You continued your walk in silence as you ended up in front of a store the booming noise of the radio stopped you.

"An American soldier who spied around the area of Auschwitz tells of the horror he and his men have seen in the short time they were there. Men, women and children being beaten, starved and murdered. The truly terrifying thing Adolf Hitler and the Nazis are doing knows no bounds. Fires were used to dispose of the bod-"

"Come on." Steve cut in grabbing your hand and tugging on it. "I don't want you to hear any of this."

"Steven I'm a grown woman I can take it."

He turned to you,"This world isn't what it should be. It's dark and gruesome and I don't want you exposed to that horror. You don't need that kind of stress and sadness. It only proves the fact that I should be out there."

"Jesus Christ Steven not this again." You groaned," I thought we talked about this."

"Loosely." He replied," I'm doing this Elle. I have to. I'm sorry doll."

You waved him off,"Yeah yeah."

He sighed.

"Eleanor-"
"I know Steven. You're sorry."

You continued to walk leaving him behind.

You heard him jog up beside you."Eleanor. Stop. Please."

You did as told and turned to face him.

He looked hurt. He knew he hurt you and in return it hurt him.
"I..I don't want to you be upset. I know it's hard. My best friend, my brother is out there with his life on the line. I gotta have his back. He'd do the same for me. But it's so much more than Bucky. It's you. My love, my life. It's these people, this country. It's those people over there being killed for their heritage. It's wrong and I can't sit back and take it. I know I'm small and I get beat up. I may not even make a difference but I've got to try. I'm nothing if I don't try."

You placed a hand to his cheek. "Okay. I won't stop you. I won't argue."

He smiled and opened his mouth ready to speak.
"But." You cut him off, "You have to come back to me. No matter what. You have to fight harder than you ever have to make it back to me."

He took your shaking hand in his,"I will. Don't worry."

"I can't live without you Steven."

He smiled,"I know doll. I can't live without you either."