10- I Suppose

On the way to somewhere, the group passed a huge wrecked ship.
"As far as I can tell, she landed here maybe forty, forty-five years before I did," Marlow explained as everyone passed it.

Carter thought it was magnificent.
"What happened with the Cold War? Did it ever get hot?" Marlow asked.
"Let's just say its coldness had just escalated. The United States is accusing Russia of interfering with the 2016 election, and of interfering with the fight against terrorism in Syria, which became a whole new problem in 2011," Carter explained.
"Hmm. That makes sense," Marlow grumbled.

He led the group to a strange and temple-like stione building filled with rocks. It was beautiful. There were painted rocks that together formed a larger picture. They were so painstakingly detailed.
"This is all hallow ground for them, so if you like your hands, don't touch anything," Marlow warned.
"Duly noted," Carter murmured, looking around.

Marlow removed his cap, as if to acknowledge the sacrality of the place. Carter and Conrad couldn't think about of anything polite to do that would actually make sense and would not come off as racist.
"Wow," Weaver mumbled in awe. "Look at that."

So many people were in this large cave-like place, and two sacred torches were lit near the entrance. Carter was truly amazed.
"The way they tell it, for thousands of years the people on this island lived in fear," Marlow explained.

Conrad and Carter took a look at one picture. It depicted a bunch of people about to be eaten by two giant dinosaurs. The pictures reminded Carter of cave paintings. The people in the pictures seemed primitively, or at least wild.
"That's a hell of a long time to be scared," Marlow thought.
"And then one day, the damnest thing happened. Some of the things they were afraid of started protecting them from the things that were eating them."

Carter glanced around the room and saw a picture of the giant gorilla. Had it protected them? Was it just upset that its island was being blown up? Carter hardly knew what to think for a moment.

  "But nothing lasts forever, I guess," Marlow sighed with sadness

Carter looked over and saw a picture of the gorilla leaning sadly over two large skeletons its size. Its family?
"This is where they honor the last of their saviors," Marlow explained, leading them to a final picture of the gorilla, with a bunch of people under it.

It was incredible. Everyone stared at it in awe and confusion.
"Yeah," Marlow nodded, confirming everyone's confused inner thoughts. "That's Kong. He's king around here," he continued.

Everyone grew afraid, since Kong had attacked only hours earlier.
"He's God to these people," he explained. "Kong's a pretty good king," he explained. "Keeps to himself, mostly. This is his home. We're just guests. And you don't go to someone's house and start dropping bombs unless you're picking a fight," he warned.
"But.... wasn't Kong the one that killed your friend?" Weaver asked slowly, confused.
"No," Marlow shook his head, directing everyone's attention to a picture of a giant lizard. "One of them did," he pointed hatefully. "Kong's God on the island, but the devils live below us," he said grimly.
"And what are they called?" Conrad asked curiously.
Marlow looked around. "The Iwis won't speak their name," he whispered. "But I call them "Skullcrawlers"," he announced.