Shadow of The Beast

The hunter looked down from the top of the clock tower onto the village below. Lit only by the pale light of the full moon above him, shadows reached across the streets and alleys like fingers of the undead. Small fires throughout the village lit up courtyards and painted dancing shadows on the walls of the surrounding dwellings. Its inhabitants huddled close together for comfort and warmth, some talking amongst themselves, others staring at the stars. To them, it was just another night.

Guards patrolled the streets and alleys, weapons at their side. They stopped every now and then to idly scan the immediate surroundings for threats before they continued their patrols. They clearly would rather be in bed.

He scanned the city from east to west. It was there somewhere, within the village. He knew it. He could sense it. Traces of the evil he hunted ran through his own veins and grew stronger the closer he was. He closed is eyes and focused, using all his willpower to suppress the evil he desperately wanted to escape.

In the corner of his eye, he saw a shadow move where it shouldn't. It was here. Finally.

He looked around, evaluating. The guards were oblivious, unaware of the threat. Slowly, he pulled out his sword, its metal gleaming in the moonlight. He took a deep breath as he watched the reflection of his face in the polished silver blade. His bright red eyes returned the stare.

He grits his teeth as he jumped off of the clock tower and landed with a dull thump on the cobbled stone street in the shadow of the tower. No-one noticed. He grinned and ran in the direction of the shadow that shouldn't be there, sword in hand. It was time. It would end tonight.

~~~

This is just a short piece, under 300 words but there's a whole lot more potential here, I think. It is one of those stories that in my mind just want to tell you more. At some point in the future, there's a novel-length story...What do you think? Is it a story worth exploring further? What is this trace of evil that runs through his veins?