The One With the Vision

Start from the beginning

"That's too dangerous." Merlin looked up at her. "The chance that you will be discovered is too big. I need to go in alone."

"But we want to help," Ron piped up. "You don't need to do everything alone, mate."

"I know," Merlin smiled faintly at him. "But this time it's for the best."

"And if we refuse?" Harry said with a scowl. "Dumbledore gave this mission to me; I'm supposed to get the Horcruxes."

"Had it been any other place, I would gladly bring you, but this is the ministry we're talking about." Merlin tried to make him understand; he wouldn't be able to live with himself it something happened to these kids. "You are a wanted man, Harry... All three of you are. If you get caught inside there, I'm not sure I can save you."

"Then what is your plan?" Morgana asked, interrupting Harry's reply. Merlin leaned back in the armchair so he could see all four of them at the same time.

"I will go in alone, disguised." Merlin began but Hermione interrupted him.

"How about the wards?"

"The wards are only designed to detect New Magic; I'm not intending to use that." Merlin smirked. "I will use a spell very similar to a confondus charm, but placed on me. No one will be able to look at me directly, their eyes will subconsciously avert from me, so I will be able to walk right in without anyone noticing."

"How will you find the toad?" Ron raised his eyebrows.

"I will trace her magic. I spent enough time with her last year that I will be able to recognise it." He paused and a faint smile graced his lips. "She has a very distinct magic after all."

"When will you do it?" Harry asked and Merlin could see that he was still a bit put out, but he would soon see that this was the right way to go.

"First I need something to destroy it with." He licked his lips before continuing. "A Horcrux is a dangerous item and it's not something I want lying around the house. It has the power to control people as you discovered with the diary and Ginny."

"How can you destroy a Horcrux?" Hermione asked.

"Have you come upon one before?" Ron asked at the same time.

"There are but a few things that can destroy a Horcrux," Merlin began. "I think you already know about the Basilisk poison." He looked at Hermione who began shifting uneasily.

"Yes," She finally nodded. "I read it in a book I took from Dumbledore's office."

"I'm not reprimanding you, Hermione." Merlin tried to assure her with a smile. "There are other ways to destroy them, like Fiendfyre, but that is an extremely unreliable spell...

"And dragon fire," Aithusa added.

"Yes, Dragon's fire works as well and we have access to it." He nodded to Aithusa who just jumped up on the bar and started to drag her head over Morgana's arm in an attempt to make her pet her. "But that is also something I don't want to use unless necessary because it will require space... If the Horcrux is animate, you can use a killing curse to kill the host, but it won't work on inanimate objects."

"How did Dumbledore do it?" Harry interrupted him.

"Dumbledore used the Basilisk poison embedded in Gryffindor's sword." Merlin answered.

"So that's why he wanted to give the sword to me in his will?" Harry brightened up a little.

"I believe so, but the sword is in Hogwarts now... But I might have a way to get it." He bit his lower lip in thought. "If you give me a week, I think I will be able to get it and can then go to the ministry and retrieve the medallion."