The One With Harry's Theory

Chapter 15 The One With Harry's Theory

"You're leaving? Why?" Ron asked.

"I need to get back to my own place and get a few things in order before I can attend Hogwarts. I still have somewhat of a life in the Muggle world, and I need to tie a few ends before I can leave for a whole year." Merlin said to them.

"I understand." Ron said and nodded.

"When do you leave tomorrow?" Hermione asked.

"After breakfast."

"Why didn't you tell us sooner?" This time it was Harry that spoke up.

"Because I wasn't sure which day I would leave until today." Merlin said and turned his head to Harry.

"Why today?" Harry continued asking. He probably still felt somewhat suspicious, not that Merlin could blame him.

"Due to what happened today at Madame Malkin's, I feel that I need to figure some things out before I leave for Hogwarts." He told them.

"What exactly did happen at Madame Malkin's today?" Hermione asked this time.

"I don't know. Which is one of the reasons why I need to leave? I need to ask an old friend of mine for help. She's kind of an expert about Old Magic."

"An old friend," Ron said. "Why haven't we heard about her before?"

"Because I hadn't seen or heard from her in years, until a few days ago when she wrote me a letter."

"How do you know her?" Harry asked.

"You could say we met through my dad. He had an old friend that he introduced me to and then he introduced me to her, and we've been, kind of friends, since then. She's helped me through a lot." He made eye contact with Hermione, when he said the last bit, and by the look she gave in return, she understood exactly what he was talking about, Arthur.

He could tell that they wanted to ask more questions about Aithusa, but after the gruesome questioning he'd gone through only a while ago, he didn't really feel up to it. So he decided to cut things short and just hope that they'll give up and forget about it while he's away.

"Well, it's getting late. I should probably pack and go to bed." He said, effectively stopping Harry from asking another question.

"Yeah, you're right." He said instead. "Goodnight Marcus, Ron." He then reached for the door.

"Goodnight." Hermione also said and followed Harry out the room, leaving Merlin and Ron alone.

Ron didn't say much when Merlin left for his own room to pack and he could understand why. He just hoped that he would have forgiven him by the time they left for Hogwarts.

----------------------------------------------------

Merlin left the next day after breakfast just as he had told them. He had been planning on leaving this week all along, but the events with the blond boy had made him nervous and he needed to talk to Aithusa. He figured that he might as well continue to his house afterwards. He still needed to patch things up with Ron. He was devastated when Ron had looked at him with utter loathing and hate; it reminded him to much of Arthur. And when he had asked him if he had any more secrets, he had been very close to telling them the entire truth, but he couldn't.

He said his goodbyes and left the premises of the Burrow. He had said that he wouldn't use the Knight Bus, instead he would apparate. He didn't like apparition, he preferred transportation, even if it was a bit windy. It felt more natural to him, and he had managed to decrease the size of the whirlwind that was created when using the spell. He figured it was because apparition was of the New Magic and he was a creature of the Old Magic. Even if he could use the New Magic it didn't feel as good as when he used the Old.