The One Where Hermione Eavesdrop

A/N

Now I want to warn you all that there will be spoilers in this chapter, which include the entire Merlin series, so be aware.

------------------------------------------

Chapter 8 The One Where Hermione Eavesdrop

Hermione heard laughter when she got closer to Ron's room. She didn't want to impose on a tender moment so she decided to listen outside the door first. Eventually, she heard Ron talking.

"Harry and Hermione!" She heard Ron practically yell out.

"What about them?" Marcus answered.

"They're going to be so jealous that I get to know about the Old Religion first."

'What! How dare they exclude me from something like this?' Hermione was fuming.

"You're right, I didn't think about that. Sorry."

'Yeah, you better be sorry.'

"It's nothing to apologise for. It's not your fault. But Hermione is going to be so jealous." Ron said and then started laughing. Shortly after, Marcus started laughing to.

'Well, I hope you have had your fun at my expense.' Hermione thought, a bit put out. She was just about to open the door when Marcus started talking again.

"How about I continue, okay?"

"Yes, tell me everything." Ron said excited.

"I said before that the Old Magic flows freely through your body which makes it easier to access than the New Magic that is only centered on your heart. Well, it's that way because it is the power of nature itself. Without the Old Magic, the laws of nature wouldn't exist."

'Maybe I should listen a little more before I interrupt.' Hermione thought, all giddy. She decided that she would stay and listen before she walked in. 'You never know when you will get an opportunity like this again.'

---------------------------------------------------

"Kind of ironic when you think about it." Merlin chuckled and shook his head. "I mean," he raised his arms to emphasize "The planet and the universe as a whole are bound by the laws of physics. Nothing works unless those laws are followed. But without magic," he said seriously and pointed a finger towards Ron. "No life would be able to exist. All the planets out there would be nothing more than lifeless rocks. And at the same time, magic is the one thing, the one constant, that doesn't follow the laws of physics. So they are each other's opposites, but without one the other wouldn't exist. They are like two sides of the same coin." He finished and glanced at Ron to see his reaction.

"Wow, I guess I've never really thought about it that way before." Ron said almost breathless and shook his head in an attempt to clear his mind.

"There are many things in the world that have an opposite, one thing that they can't live without. For example, Harry's opposite is Voldemort." Ron immediately flinched when he said the name.

"Don't say the name out loud." Ron said with frustration and glared at Merlin.

"Sorry, I forgot." Merlin said and shrugged his shoulders.

"You forgot?" Ron said disbelievingly.

"Yes, I forgot. I didn't grow up with other wizards and witches like you have, so I've never really learnt to fear his name."

"Really?"

"Yes, really. Now will you let me continue with my story?"

"Sure." Ron said and waved his hand.