1 - The Newscots

"She told you not to wear those shoes" I rolled my eyes "They're way too big"
"She shouldn't have bought them for me if I'm not allowed to wear them then" He threw back, stepping with his small legs at more height than normal

Walking alongside Luke towards school 2 blocks away was a daily chore. I missed the days I would walk alone, but at times like these, I enjoyed the amusement.

"What's wrong with you?" Skyler laughed as she appeared from her house, staring at my brother who struggled to keep up
"Mum bought me shoes that are too big" He grumbled
"Why did you wear them then?" She placed an arm over his shoulder, slightly leaning down to his level
I allowed a small laugh out, shaking my head as she told him only what both my mother and I had.
Luke quickly shrugged her off once he caught sight of his friend Willis waving from the front of our school.

"He's crazy" Skyler sighed as we watched him run, his feet dragging
"Mum was going to take them back, but he insisted they would be fine"
"At least he looks cool" She shrugged
"That's what it's all about in high school, remember?" I joked
"Until you reach final year, then most of us learn not to give a crap" She smiled, nudging my shoulder with hers as we entered Dainsbury High School.

Monday mornings were difficult, not just for me, but for every student who attended our public school. Not only because we were recovering from a weekend of parties and alcohol, but because we were well aware that the homework due, had not been done.
Skyler and I were about as average as you could get. We remained inside the middle of the school social hierarchy, our grades were basic and our appearance and wealth balanced on a healthy scale.

Perusing routine, we were met with the rest of our friends, Dayton, Paisley and Cara who waited at the entrance of hall A.

"I love that jacket" Cara glanced me over, walking alongside me "I've never seen it before, is it new?"
I nodded "I couldn't sleep last Tuesday night, so online shopping took over" I told her, admitting to my developing habit.

Cara and I had many classes together, we spoke on a more personal basis probably more than I did with anyone else in our group. I hadn't chosen to classify myself as having a best friend, I didn't enjoy placing that expectation on one person in particular. Instead, I had many close friends, all valued for their each individual qualities.
Dayton and I had a few classes together, his advice - mainly with boys - was always useful, and I put that down to the beautiful relationship he had with both his single mother and his girlfriend Paisley. Paisley was beautiful, strawberry blond hair, blue eyes and stunning ivory skin. She was the go to when it came to information, she knew everything, things that hadn't even circled through school yet - props to her private investigator father.
Cara was all about the fashion, always dressing in new outfits that had surfaced online or on her favourite Instagram pages. Her flare was inspiring and her confidence was equally as inspiring. It was easy to see why she was so confident, with long chocolate brown waves, big green eyes and a gym body to kill for, she had little to be insecure about.
Then there was Skyler and I. We were strikingly visually similar. Straight brown hair, brown eyes, a thin figure with average curves and lightly sun-kissed skin. We weren't the best with fashion, or gossip, or advice, but we were good for our down to earth, at ease nature, we were a good pair of ears when needed. The only difference between Skyler and I, was the length of fuse with temper.
Mine was shorter, but only when completely necessary.

At 8:55am, the bell sounded, a warning that in 5 minutes, class would begin.
Through the chatter and echo of voices in the wide busy main hall, I listened to what Paisley and Dayton were discussing in our circle - their next date night.
I stood silently, holding my thick maths book against my chest, chewing the inside of my cheek.