“Brothers” Aaron Graves said, “I love each of you as if my mom had given birth to you. You know it! I know this goes without saying, but I need to say it anyway: God forbid the worst thing happens, Joe is the only one I want telling Natasha, okay? He’s known her for years. She’d only hear it from him.  Nothing against the rest o’ y’all, okay? Let’s do this!”

Dan Vickers butted in: “Nothing is going to happen! We got this, right? I love each of you and thank you for all you’ve done for me and Mandy! Y’all know it!”

Joe had to put his queasy feelings aside and talk to everyone. “Y’all be careful. Watch your backs. If you suspect you see something that could even remotely be a possibility of a danger, you stop and radio it in. Got it? Let’s go, brothers!”  

“OORAH!” They all sounded out the Marine Corps battle cry!

Even though others didn’t see this side of them, they all hugged one another before the trip.

Jumping up into their up-armored vehicles, they started the engines, and each gunner took his place in the turret.

Dan didn’t feel ready for this mission like he had in the past, but he kept his reservations to himself. He’d called Tash (his pet name for his wife, Natasha) and gave her his love. He had an ominous sense of foreboding; he felt like it was the last time he’d ever give her his affections. The last thing he wanted was to leave his wife of a year and a half alone. He loved her with so much of himself that he couldn’t have married anyone but her. He prayed for her as he climbed into his gunny position, loaded his weapon, and braced himself for movement. Aaron was his driver, and he trusted him with his life.

Aaron didn’t express his apprehension for this mission. Something seemed off, and there was no other way to put it. He’d talked to Mandy, and even told her his gut was saying it was not going to be a safe mission, but she reassured him with her love, and told him she would be praying for him. “No matter what!” They always said to each other. After two years of marital bliss, they were still as in love as the day they married. No I.E.D. could change that.

As they rolled out, each man said another prayer. The other vehicles in the convoy were also ready to go, and to say the adrenaline was pumping did not explain the intense feelings accompanying the men as they embarked on this mission.

Some parts of the trip, they could drive fast, but for the most part, they drove slowly in case of explosives. “A few more months, Vickers, and we’ll be home.” Aaron said to Dan.

“Yeah, I hear ya, there. I can’t wait to see my wife and walk my dog. The simplest things: a lawn chair in the grass, a beer in my hand, and a steak on the grill; these are the things that make life wonderful. Let’s get this done.”

“I hear that, brother!”

“Hold one. Something’s not right. It’s too quiet; the calm before the storm.”

Gunfire erupted and showered them like hail; each gunner returned fire. A bullet whizzed past Dan’s head so fast and so close that he felt the heat of the round. “That was too close.” Aaron heard him swear under his breath and asked, “You okay, buddy?”

“Yeah, it just came too close for comfort.” For fifteen minutes, and all the way through the town, they were in a firefight. Coming out of the town, the bullets stopped. “Whew! That was nuts!” Dan said. Aaron radioed to the other vehicles to check on them.

“Everybody’s okay! Let’s get down there and get back already. I’m over this mission and we’re not halfway done.” They both heard Joe’s exclamation. And they drove on towards their destination.