2 | ACT I, SCENE II

Start from the beginning

"You haven't changed one bit, you know? There was this time when you could have sworn the roof off Dilston Castle," he chortled.

"Excuse me? Did I not make myself clear the first time? I don't know you, so get the bloody hell out of my penthouse!"

He put his hands up, freezing where he stood, yet the look in his eyes was desperate, pleading, pleading me to listen to him.

"All of this just for one week, father!" the sky blue eyed woman snapped at the elder man. "Look what you've done, look at her!"

"Amphitrite, it was for the best. You know it was," he scolded her, sea blue eyes glinting.

"Lucius Tremayne and Amphitrite LeVane! I asked you to go stand by the door!" Eric sternly motioned to them with a furious gesture. "Let me deal with her."

"Deal with me - deal with me, mister? Who do you think you are?" I snapped.

Amphitrite and Lord Tremayne walked to the door. For a moment I hesitated as to where to point my revolver, but decided to keep it aimed at the younger man - he seemed to be the one in charge.

"The way out is through the door," I said curtly, not taking my eyes of the strangers.

"Okay, look, woman," Eric tried again, "they won't move from there unless I tell them to - but you need to listen to me-"

"Need to? And explain to me why in fucking hell do I need to listen to you?"

"Just -" he sighed. "Just - just give me fifteen minutes. Fifteen minutes. Let me explain."

"Ten," I snapped. "You have ten minutes."

He wasn't going anywhere till I heard him out, might as well enjoy a bit of thrill on my last day alive.

"Very well," Eric said, exasperated.

"It is seven thirty-" I pointed to the ancient grandfather clock hanging from the ceiling. "You have until seven forty. And after I hear you out, you will walk out of my apartment, is that clear?"

"But you have to come wi-" Amphitrite began, but Eric shut her up with an authoritative glare.

"Listen to me first?" he asked, I nodded helplessly, gesturing to the couch. Eric sat down on the well used leather, leaning on one of my favorite tasseled cushions. I took a seat opposite to him on the other couch.

Suddenly, painful agony ripped through my body once again, catching me out of nowhere, as I nearly tripped again, doubling over my knees. Heart thudding loudly, I gasped as the fiery pain began to burn through my chest.

There was a sudden movement as Eric jumped out of his seat, put his hand on my arms, slowly helping me get up, walking till I was firmly perched on the sofa, a moment later, the woman was holding a glass of water to my lips.

There were tears in all three of their eyes as I panted, trying to catch my breath, clutching at the armrest. My hand was shaking so badly, I couldn't even hold the glass.

I didn't want to die.

"Gods," I wheezed, clutching at my chest as a fresh wave of pain began slicing through me, white hot and burning in its intensity. The woman was begging me to drink the water. Someone was holding me up. There was a comforting hand on my shoulder as I gulped it down.

"Go," I whispered. "You don't need to see this-"

"Eric..." the woman pleaded. "You need to do it now."

"Look at how much pain she's in, Lord Tremayne! Just for such insane whims of yours!" Eric darkly snapped at the older man, who was holding up my shoulders, his eyes full of sorrow.