She was desperate.

Desperate to know she was doomed.

Desperate to understand no one would ever save her.

Desperate to leave before she could say farewell.

Desperate to love and hate the same person so much.

Desperate to die because of her.

And now...

She had no more control over her body, she couldn't prevent the tears from flowing down her cheeks, nor her shoulders from shaking, jerky motions launched by violent, endless sobs.

She couldn't even hear the three fairies take their leave. Well, they could leave or stay, it wouldn't change a thing anyway.

MALEFICENT!

She felt her voice shouting and vibrating inside her, as if it wanted to get out of her head and finally say at loud everything that had been concealed within the meanders of her mind for too long.

She was never going to see her again.

Everything was over.

So it was the end, wasn't it?

If it was so, then she was ready to accept it.

After all, there was nothing worth fighting for in this life which awaited her on the other side of the mirror, on Aurora's side, on the Princess' side. That was pointless.

Suddenly, a soft cold touch brushed her golden locks. She dared to imagine those long, thin fingers gently stroking her hair. But she couldn't believe it. She couldn't afford it. It was impossible.

No, it can't be. And yet...

A voice she knew too well resounded in her head. She didn't perform the slightest gesture, for she was too afraid the voice would simply vanish and never come back.

''My, my!'' The voice echoed in her head, causing her to shiver. ''Sweet Aurora... You look so mournful. May I ask why so melancholy?''

''I...I am going to die.'' She thought, putting all her strength and determination in that single thought, guessing that the older woman was simply going to hear her, just as she always seemed to do.

''Why, no! You are just going to fall into an everlasting slumber, dear.''

''But I will die before I can wake up...''

''Of course not! Merryweather might be a wretched good fairy, but she did manage to use the little magic she possessed to try and save you. I don't know if we could really affirm she did succeed yet, but at least, you will stay quite alive for a hundred years until a brave prince charming comes and saves you. How wonderful, isn't it?''

''And what if I didn't want to wake up? What if I didn't want to be saved anymore?''

''Oh, sweet Aurora... Why so tragic? Maybe everything is not over yet, who knows...?'' Maleficent's deep voice whispered in Aurora's ears, as if she was truly here, right next to her.

''Maleficent, did you come to say farewell?'' Aurora asked, a slight hint of weariness in her voice.

A dark, but beautiful sound made itself heard. Maleficent chuckled.

''One could pretend that, indeed...'' She replied smoothly, her voice more enigmatic than ever.

''Then what are you doing here?''

''Why, isn't it obvious? I came here to carry out my duty, of course.'' The fairy sounded no more sarcastic, nor ruthless, but rather hesitant and perhaps even a little distressed.