The Prophecy

Aurora was tired of waiting for her interrogations to be resolved. So when Maleficent informed her that she was leaving for a whole day, the Queen thought this was the perfect time for her to try and find the answers she was seeking since her sixteenth birthday.

She woke up with the familiar noise of bursting flames, which assured her that her host had left the domain. She got up from her small cold bed and rushed out of the room.

Now it's time I set up the rules.

She smiled to herself as she climbed down all the endless stairs until she reached the throne hall that was filled with the mistress' strange goons. As soon as she appeared in front of the crowd, all the little creatures stopped growling and screaming and bowed to her in a respectful and quite ridiculous gesture, which instantly warmed her heart. She curtsied at her new unexpected friends and led towards the hallway at the back of the immense room with firm steps.

She stopped right before she entered a dark, impenetrable corridor, hesitant. She knew she must not do that. Maleficent would probably never forgive her if she found out, but on the other side, she knew she had no choice. She simply had to know.

Aurora had listened to the fairy as she talked about an odd thing she had never heard of before when the older woman was telling her the whole story of the last eighteen years on the day she arrived at the Forbidden Mountains. The Queen was sure the wicked fairy had spoken about a certain prophecy. But what prophecy? What was it predicting? And most of all, it seemed to be the reason why Maleficent had cursed her in the first place. So why did that mean so much to her? What was she so afraid of?

That were ones of the many questions that convinced her to disobey her frightening host.

I have to know. She was repeating herself as she lifted a foot, ready to penetrate in the small unwelcoming and forbidden corridor which led to the spell room, as known as the only place of the castle she was not allowed to visit.

But that was about to change.

She walked for a few minutes before she interrupted herself, disturbed by some murmurs and groans which never left her since she had engaged in that dark path.

She rolled her eyes, knowing exactly who was foolish enough to follow her as she was breaking the Mistress' rules, and so, she turned around slowly.

"No need to lead me, Hector," she sighed, "I know exactly where I am going."

"But... but..." The little demon mumbled, "you can't go there, princess– Uh, Your Highness, I mean, Aurora. Mistress said you–"

"I know what Maleficent said," Aurora cut him off as she raised a soothing hand towards him. "I know she forbade me to go there, and that is exactly why I must see what's in there. I know the risks, believe me... but I have no choice! She doesn't want to explain me, she doesn't want to..." She sighed again, trying to hide her frustration the best she could. "Just turn away and go back to the main hall, and if she arrives, I won't tell her you knew what I was about to do. I'll take all the responsibilities. Now please, go."

"But... Your– Aurora, Mistress would probably kill you for disobeying her and... anyway, the door of the spell room is always closed!" Hector growled at her.

"Oh. Well, let me see," the Queen crossed her arms upon her chest. "I am going to check. And if the door is indeed locked, I will be forced to stop right there and then, won't I? Now go!"

The minions finally gave up and went back to the throne room.

Aurora sighed in relief and continued her walk until she was compelled to stop in front of the dark iron door. Holding her breath, she reached out and tried to open the door. She had to admit this was pointless. That door was obviously locked. Still, the Queen was not ready to give up yet. She brushed a hand in her golden hair absently, lost in thought.