Chapter 31: Friendly faces

Might be the last update for this week, not getting much feedback on the chapters.

Chapter 31: Friendly Faces

Jasmine

Looking at my reflection in the mirror over my dresser I sighed deeply. I pulled my hair down from the ponytail I was wearing it in. Grabbing the brush, I smoothed down my hair. My hair came down past my shoulders, and while any other black person my age would love the healthy hair I have. I hated it. I hated not being able to style it as much as I wanted to, and if I did it would always mess up because of the weather outside.

I wanted something different a lot different.

Today was Tuesday, and I was supposed to be meeting Deangelo at the mall around three. It was only twelve, and I was debating going to the mall now, and waiting for him there. Grabbing my keys off the stand next to my bed I ran downstairs, and out of the house.

*

I wandered around the mall aimlessly. I wasn't searching for anything specifically, but I was hoping that something caught my attention along the way. As I went to pass a store by the name of 'Fresh Clips' I stopped. Taking a deep breath, and pondering for a quick moment I decided to go along with my decision.

Backing up I turned and entered the store, and when I did woman rushed in my direction excitedly. You would have never thought they had seen a person in their lives.

"Hi, welcome to Fresh Clips!" A woman with brown hair, and brown eyes said to be with the biggest smile glued upon her face. "My name is Rebecca, and what can I do for you today?"

I returned the warming smile she sent to me, "Hi Rebecca I'm Jasmine, and I'm hoping you would cut my hair for me." They all nodded eagerly before ushering me to a seat, "You guys are very excited to cut hair I see."

Rebecca shook her head and laughed, "No not all the time, last week this woman came in asking if we'd cut her hair because she was tired of all the lice. Needless to say, we were cutting hair in gloves." I laughed at her humor I found her funny. "It's not every day that we get the chance to cut African American hair, so it's exciting when we get to do so."

I wasn't sure to be welcomed or skeptical about what she was saying, but I was going to give it a chance. "I was hoping to get my hair cut short, but I'm not sure on how short."

Another woman came behind me in a chair, and wrapped a black drape around the front of my body. Rebecca came and sat a book on my lap. When I opened the book, I saw that it was full of short hair styles, that they had done, and I felt a bit more comfortable.

Scanning through the book I pointed at the style that stuck out most to me. "This is the one," I said convincing myself that I wanted to go through with the cut.

"Excellent choice," she smiled positioning herself behind me, "You're going to look stunning."

-

An hour and a half later I was looking down at myself in a small mirror. Rebecca had just finished cutting my hair, and wanted my honest opinion about it. I was lost for words. I loved it.

My hair was cut into a pixie, and I was shocked. I was so used to my hair coming down past my shoulders, but now it barely passed my ear. Standing up from the chair I wiped the rest of the excess hair onto the floor. I walked over to the desk, and pulled out my card ready to pay.

"Good afternoon Brenda are you here for your usual trim?" A woman asked from behind me, and my heart stopped when I remembered that voice. I threw a look over my shoulder, and was spot on with my guess. It happened to be Brenda, Daniel's moms.

I hadn't seen or spoken to her since the dinner I had at her house, and I had no intentions it now. I paid for my haircut, and tried to quickly exit the store without being seen.

"Jasmine," I heard my name being called and I groaned quietly knowing I had been spotted. I turned around slowly, and faced Brenda.

"Hi Mrs. Smith how are you?" I asked slowly unsure of what her reaction to me was going to be.

"You know you don't have to call me that dear." She laughed softly. She reached her hand over and grazed my hair. "Such a beautiful woman you have become."

I blushed at her compliment, "Thank you Brenda,"

"Daniel told me about how he messed up between you two," she sighed deeply, "but I can see in that boy's eyes that he loves you, because his eyes lit up whenever your name is mentioned."

"I still love him," I blurted out not meaning to let that comment slip. "I have to go." She continued to call after me after I ran out of the store. Afraid that she would follow me I made a dash into Journey's two stores down.

I tried to catch my breath as I made my way into Journey's. I walked over to a rack of clothes marked under clearance, and looked through them. I couldn't understand how someone would think that buying things cheaply was bad, and made them look less fortunate. My thought process was if I could get a cute shirt for three dollars I would be crazy not to buy it.

My vibrated with a text from Deangelo saying that he had just pulled into the parking a lot, and that he was about to enter the mall. I got the shirt from the rack, and purchased it quickly. I placed the bag on my wrist, and went to exit the store, but instead I became face to face with Daniel.

My heart began to beat quickly in my chest, and I felt as if I was going to pass out. I saw Daniel checking me out from my feet to my head. "Wow Jasmine," he stared at me in disbelief. "you look great."

I went to run out the store, "Hey, Jasmine wait I just want to talk to you." Daniel told me blocking me from leaving.

"What Daniel," I said trying to keep the conversation very short. Deangelo would be in the mall shortly, and I was at the front of the mall where you walk in. If he spotted Daniel and I speaking to each other he would have a mental breakdown and cause a scene.

"How have you been?" He asked and I took the time to admire him. I hadn't seen him in six months, and time had done him well. His hair was longer, but not too long. He had grown a bit of stubble on his chin, and his chest area seemed bigger as if he had been working out. In six months, he had graduated, and was preparing to be a father. Times had changed.

"I've been great," I lied wanting him to see the act that I was pulling. Life was everything, but great, but no way was he going to know that. "How have you been?" I asked not wanting him to think I was self-centered.

"Things are good," He answered with a nod of his head, "I'll be nineteen in a month, and I'll be taking care of a child soon. Hopefully it won't be as bad as taking care of Claire." He joked with a small chuckle.

Trying not to care was one of the hardest things in life to do, but what was the point in caring when you had no chance in getting the only person you wanted to spend the rest of your life with? "Well Deangelo will be here soon, it was nice speaking to you."

I could see in his eyes that he was sad, "Yeah it was nice seeing you too. Don't be a stranger Jas."

My heart skipped a beat when I heard him call me by the nickname he had given to me. I gave him a small smile, and exited the store to find Deangelo.

I will always be your Jas Daniel

*

After the long uneventful day at the mall with Deangelo I was at home in bed. Deangelo had just walked into the mall as I was leaving Journey's after my conversation with Daniel. When he saw my hair he quickly scorned me about not getting his thoughts or opinions first. He said it wasn't his thing to date chicks with short hair, but he didn't want to take the option I gave him, to leave.

I didn't care about what anybody had to say about my hair. I loved it I felt as if it had given me a new start to life, and that I could do any and everything that I put my mind to.

A small vibration from my phone pulled me from my thoughts, and I inwardly groaned knowing it was from Deangelo. I picked up the phone from the stand to the left of the bed, and unlocked my phone.

What I received wasn't a text from Deangelo, but a text from Daniel that shocked me when I read it "I love you too."