Chapter 3

"So.......why are you even agreeing to go with me in the first place?"

William was packing up a backpack with essentials for the trip. I didn't think he would treat it this seriously. After all, he had just met me, and I had kind of sprang this on him.

This guy probably doesn't have a life.

But then, neither do I.

"Don't you think it's a bit risky to ask that?"

"Why?"

"Just in case it makes me start to think about why I'm even going with you, realize that I must be out of my mind, change my decision and let you wander around without a body for the rest of your life."

I winced. "Harsh."

"It had to be done."

So after that nasty snub, I plunked myself down on the chair and tapped my finger against the side of it, making a hollow, wooden noise. William kept moving around, grabbing things that I never saw because he kept it in front of him, and I was facing his back.

"But seriously, William. Tell me."

William didn't stop, nor did he say a word.

"William."

Step, step, step, grab, arrange, step, step.

"William."

He was still moving.

"William."

Soon, I was just repeating his name over and over again, just to try and break his resolve, but he seemed to have blocked me out because he simply ignored me and kept on filling up the backpack.

"William, uh, uh, uh, William, yeah, break it down now, Wi-Wi-William, uh, uh huh, yeah, bring the beat in, William, uh huh, ya Wi-Wi, William, the chameleon, uh, uh, yeah Willi-"

"What are you doing?"

"Your name makes a good rhythmic beat, William. Have you ever noticed that before?"

He finally turned around to look at me.

"Look, can't I tell you another time?"

"Nope."

And so, the realization that I will not give up dawns on William, and he gives in.

"I can't sleep."

"William, dear boy, I didn't ask about your bedtime, I asked about why you wanted to come with me."

"No, you-"

"If you couldn't sleep, just get your mother to read you a bedtime story or something. Ever tried hot milk?"

"Saffron-"

"Or you could ask her to read you the index of a chemistry book, very lulling."

"Saffron, you wanted an explanation, you're getting an explanation, now shut up."

I shut up.

"As I said before when you weren't listening, I can't sleep. I'm an insomniac."

"Question."

"Yes."

"Stop drinking coffee."

"That was a suggestion, not a question. And I hate coffee."

I gestured for him to continue.

"I stopped sleeping when I was 10. So that's why I was awake when you walked into my garden. I just was able to blend in because all the other teenagers would also stay up, on Plumblr, or something."