Chapter 2

At the end of school the next day, Kitalei was in a better mood despite yesterday's ordeal and stood with Akira in the playground waiting for Yasmine.

"Guys!"

Akira and Kitalei looked up to see Yasmine running towards them, waving excitedly.

Yasmine was a pretty girl. She had tan skin and long, wavy ginger hair, with sparkling emerald eyes Kitalei had always envied somewhat.

She was always accompanied by her friend Christian, who was close behind. He chased after her, trying to keep up.

Christian had curly blonde hair with dark brown eyes. He was very shy, so stuck to Yasmine like glue. Kitalei didn't get shy people; if you wanted something, what was stopping you from asking for it? He obviously liked her, but there was no way Yasmine would ever figure that out.

"Uh-yasmine?"He stammered.

"Hold on a minute, Christian!" Yasmine cut him off as they finally reached Kitalei and Akira.

And there went his chance. Poor Christian.

She greeted them with a massive bear hug, so pleased to see them.

"Oh, I missed you guys so much!" she exclaimed, out of breath.

"I haven't seen you since Monday ..." Kitalei wheezed in suffocation. She sure was stronger than she looked.

"I can barely survive your greetings ..." Akira strained to say, suffering from the lack of oxygen. Kitalei was half happy that she was in pain too. Served her right.

"I know! It's so long! I was barely coping as it is!" Yasmine shrieked, finally letting them go.

Akira coughed and held her stomach, recovering from the hug.

"So what's up?" Kitalei wheezed.

Yasmine's eyes light up. "I want us all to go shopping today! All three of us! To Shibuya!"

"Shopping? You know I hate shopping," Kitalei moaned. (The real reason being because she could never afford anything.)

"I'd really rather not," Akira muttered. What a surprise. Unless vampires or books were involved, there was no way Akira would go.

"Oh, come on, guys! Kitalei, I promise we'll go to a games store, and, Akira, we'll go to the library at some point."

"Deal," Kitalei said. Yasmine knew her well. Yasmine looked to Akira hopefully, who rolled her eyes and nodded.

Yasmine giggled. "Gre-at! Let's go, guys!"

She linked arms with both of them and headed for the exit. But just before leaving, she stopped and turned to Christian.

"Hey Christian, what was it you wanted to tell me?"

He blushed bright red, his heart pounding. Go on, Christian; DO IT!

"Oh, nothing ... have fun," he said quietly, waving goodbye.

Ugh, what a wuss.

The girls walked the streets of their hometown, all besides Akira excited about their shopping trip. It was early afternoon and so streets were busy with the everyday hustle and bustle of civilians, an environment of dashing shoppers, car horns honking and people socialising all around them. Kitalei, however, didn't notice, nor suspect, that from the rooftops around them, they were being watched.

***

Two agents observed them thoroughly, precisely calculating when to make their move. The first agent turned to her partner.