Chapter 1

Present day

KITALEI

"Go Kitalei!"

The crowd was going wild! Kitalei grinned a cocky grin, full of determination as she dribbled across the basketball court, running insanely fast, the opposite team trying to catch up with her and failing miserably as she blew right past them. The crowd watched in awe:

"Wow, it's Kitalei!"

"She's so awesome!"

Kitalei grinned as she got closer to the finish line.

There it is! "I'm gonna win this!" She announced to herself.

Opposing team players lined up before her, forming a barricade. They sweated and trembled as they saw her approaching. She continued to head for the goal.

Soon as she reached them, Kitalei let out a battle cry.

A large blast emerged from her, sending the opposing team flying in all directions.

"Agh!"

"She has too much power!" one cried as he flew across the court.

Kitalei made it through them all, eyes on the basketball hoop, fire in her eyes. She bent her knees, inches from the hoop, launching herself upwards to shoot.

A few moments of tense silence passed, the crowd holding their tongues in anticipation as the ball rolled around the rims of the hoop before finally going in. A large cheer followed:

"Woo! Go Kitalei! We knew you could do it!" erupted a fan from the crowd.

"You're so cool!"

Kitalei laughed triumphantly as the crazed crowd all got down from the seating, rushing to congratulate her. Kitalei held up the peace sign.

"Kit-a-lei!" they cheered.

"Kit-a-lei! Kit-a-lei! Kit-a-lei!"

"And the crowd goes wild!" Kitalei cheered in her sleep.

"Kitalei! I've been calling you for the last ten minutes! Are you asleep?"

Kitalei jumped awake. "Huh? What?"

"Breakfast is ready! Come on to the lounge when you're ready." Maya called.

Kitalei sulked in her bed, heavily disappointed it was just another dream.

"Kitalei -"

"I'm coming I'm coming."

Kitalei sat on her worn-out bed, arms folded behind her head, staring at the ceiling in her pyjamas.

The 16-year-old rested on her short, platinum-blonde hair. It was striking on its own, but her strongest feature was her eyes.

Her eyes were the lightest shade of blue, much like the sky. One could stare into her eyes for days without losing the slightest bit of interest. There was only one before her whose eyes had the same effect.

She looked over at her room and sighed in boredom. She and her guardian were poor, and so only had the things they needed. Her room really showed this. It was tiny, only about enough space for her bed. Due to the lack of space, it was completely bare, apart from a small pile of clothes in the corner, and a small window to the side of her bed.

She sighed again and looked out. Kitalei and her guardian Maya lived in the poorest neighbourhood in their city, the top floor of a series of flats.