A New Face

Yoongi muttered gibberish as he lazily rolled over in his bed to check the time. "Hm? It's already 8:37," he sleepily remarked and closed his eyes once again.

Wait.

"Yoongi! School starts in less than half an hour!" Seokjin, Yoongi's roommate, exclaimed. It was evident that he was irritated, which was slightly unusual. He was usually on the patient side. "I tried waking you up fourteen times. Fourteen! I already made you seaweed soup for breakfast. You're welcome," he continued.

Yoongi groaned as he sat himself up in his bed and rubbed his eyes. "Jin, I don't like seawee-" He was interrupted by a spoonful of soup shoved into his mouth. Yoongi winced at first but stopped, for he was pleasantly surprised.

"Eat up," Seokjin stated triumphantly before going over to the mirror to fix up his hair.

Yoongi had scarfed down his soup within a few minutes and quickly got ready for school. Truthfully, he didn't mind showing up late, but he wasn't in the mood to dealing with his roommate today.
__________________________
8:52 a.m.

Seokjin stormed out the door holding Yoongi by his wrist. As they bolted through the narrow halls of their dorm, they were forced to come to an abrupt stop.

One dorm door flung open towards the two boys, causing Seokjin and Yoongi's life to flash before their eyes.

"Oh! Sorry sorry sorry! We didn't see-" an apologetic and timid voice began, but his voice immediately became more outgoing and cheerful as soon as he realized who were in front of him. "Phew! It's just Seokjin and Yoongi."

"Jimin? You and Hoseok are late too?" Seokjin inquired.

"We aren't late yet!" Jimin boasted cheerfully alongside Hoseok.

Yoongi couldn't hold back a slight smile. How are Jimin and Hoseok always so cheerful? He wondered if they actually suffer deep down; have mastered the art of hiding unpleasant emotions. His smile faded at the thought of them hurting.

"There's someone new we'd like you to meet!" Hoseok began, snapping Yoongi out of his thoughts. He turned towards the dorm and yelled, "Kookie! Come here! Come and meet the Yoongi we've been talking about!"

They actually talk about me? Why? I'm not that interesting of a person. Well, I guess I am. I mean, I am a genius after all, Yoongi thought to himself.

Before Yoongi could get a proper look at the new face, Seokjin cleared his throat. "What is it now?" Yoongi asked.

"It's 8:57!" he stressed, waving his arms in the air as he did so.

Yoongi sighed. "I guess you're right. Hey, do you guys all want to walk together?" he asked, facing the three younger boys.

"Walk?! We gotta run!" Seokjin frantically exclaimed, causing the younger three to giggle and Yoongi to roll his eyes.

"A few minutes late won't hurt anyone," he replied.

His words went unnoticed by the older who had already sprinted his way down the hall. With a sharp right turn, Seokjin had vanished from the others' vision.

"Welp...shall we go?" Jimin suggested.

Yoongi nodded as the four walked down the hall together. He turned towards the new face and asked, "Kookie, was it?"

He chuckled in response. "It's Jungkook. Hoseok and Jimin just started calling me that and it stuck."

Yoongi smiled. "Jimin must be pleased to have found someone younger than him. What year are you Jungkook?"

"Year 10. I know it's kinda weird that I'm just starting halfway through the year, but what can I do?" Jungkook hid his evident sorrow within a chuckle. He must have had a difficult time saying goodbye to his previous schooling.

The academy he just came to attend is a unique one. It is not only an average high school for grades 9-12 but a university for ages 25 and under as well. Yoongi always found it odd that the university students could end up rooming with the high schoolers. He remembered his first year here, which was year 11, when he ended up rooming with a university senior. That was one of many things Yoongi never wanted to relive. Nothing drastic happened,
it was just terribly awkward.

"You'll get used to it. I grew up in Daegu, where I had been attending high school. I was doing fine there but..." Yoongi's voice trailed off. The real reason he had to leave could not easily roll of his tongue. It was difficult for him to even think about those times, let alone say them aloud, without breaking down into tears.

Fortunately for Yoongi, Hoseok and Jimin knew what happened and caught on. Jimin continued for him.

"He had to move here to Seoul! I'm happy he did. We don't know what we'd do without him."

"I guess you've been in the same boat I'm sailing, Yoongi," Jungkook stated with a hopeful smile. It was cute. He seemed young and strong-willed, not to mention naïve. "Will you help me navigate?"

Yoongi understood it was hard to adjust, but Jungkook wasn't going to be let off the hook that easily. In Yoongi's eyes, no one deserves to skip the hardships in life. It is what makes one wiser and stronger as a person. Besides, Yoongi didn't receive any help himself, not even from his closest friends.

"Maybe," Yoongi bluntly replied. He did not exactly say no, partially due to the fact Jungkook reminded him of an adorable bunny. Who can say no to a boy who's face resembled a helpless, small animal? Oh yeah, Yoongi can.

"Or not," he added with a smirk. "You'll figure it out."