Walled In

Psalm 51:1-19

        David is the author of this Psalm and he is in deep distress. WALLED IN BY SIN! He is the King of Israel. The whole nation relies on his decisions and actions. In 2 Samuel 11 and 12, we read a sad story, a disturbing story, a horrifying story! David had stayed at home while his army went out to battle; but wait, let me tell the whole story- 2 Samuel 11:1- "It happened in the spring of the year, at a time when kings go out to battle, that David sent JOAB and his servants with him, and all Israel; and they destroyed the people of Ammon and besieged Rabbah. but DAVID remained at JERUSALEM." David was fully aware of his responsibility to lead the army into battle; but he shirked his duty. Verse 2-"Then it happened one evening that David arose from his bed and walked on the roof of the king's house. And from the roof he saw a woman bathing, and the woman was very beautiful to behold." Here was his first mistake! If he had been at battle, he would not have seen this view. Roofs with side walls were a privacy in all homes but David's roof towered above all the others. Had the woman known any men lingered behind and could see her, she would never have bathed in what she felt was a seclusion of her own roof area. David sent for his servant and asked who lived in that home. It was (verse 4) "Bethesda, the daughter of Elian, the wife of Uriah the Hittite. Then David sent messengers, and took her; and she came to him (not voluntarily, but by demand of the king) and he lay with her, for she was cleansed of her impurity; and she returned to her house. And the woman conceived; so she sent and told David, ' I am with child.' " My opinion is, "Fear gripped her heart for she had not consented to this interaction. He was the king and could demand anything!"

So began his second wrongful deed. He thought up a plan as he knew her husband would be alarmed since he was at war. (Verse 6), "David sent to Joab saying, 'Send me Uriah the Hittite." When he came David made small talk about the battle. Then he sent Uriah home hoping he would go in to his wife and would never know the child was not his. He even sent gifts of food with Uriah. Uriah did not go home but followed the rule that no man in battle should break. Uriah explained his reasoning to David, (verse 11) "The ark of Israel and Judah are dwelling in tents and my lord Joab and the servants of the lord are encamped in open fields. Should I then go to my house to eat and drink and lie with my wife? As you live and as your soul lives, I will not do this thing."

Now David had to make a new plan to cover his sin, so he made the man drunk. But Uriah kept his vow and did not go to his wife. So David thwarted again in his scheme, sent Uriah by order to Joab to place Uriah in the heat of battle so he would be killed. His wicked plan worked and Uriah died in battle. When Bathsheba heard of his death she mourned over her loss. David then sent a servant to bring her to him. She became his wife and bore his son. (Read on in 2 Samuel 12:1-22 and see the results for this crime and how God intervened by Nathan.) David was walled in by sin! God was very displeased with David.

So Psalm 51:1-2-(NCV)-begins, "God be merciful to me because You are loving. Because You are always ready to be merciful," (David pleaded for God's mercy and forgiveness- Psalm 13:5) "wipe out all wrongs." ( NKJV- blot out; Isaiah 43:25 Blot out; 44:22 redeem). David went on to confess his sins!

In verses 3-4 of Psalm 51 he says-(CEB)-"Because I know My wrongdoings, my sin is always in front of me." Like a wall keeping him enclosed. (Psalm 32:1-2, 5). David went on, "I've sinned against You-You alone. I've committed evil in Your sight." (2 Samuel 12:13; Luke 5:21; Romans 3:4). " That's why You are justified when You render Your verdict, completely correct when You issue Your judgment." David knew he was wrong, repented of his wrong and threw himself on God's mercy for forgiveness and redemption. Sin had caused a Great Wall between God and him. He had taken what wasn't his, killed a man from whom he had stolen and tried to cover it and dismiss it. Adultery, Murder, and Theft were on the books of God's records. David had passed it off lightly until Nathan had confronted him with God's opinion and choice. It cut down passive confidence and left him grasping for God. He was sorry for what he had done.

God had given him all he had and said in 2 Samuel 12:9- "Why have you despised the commandment of the Lord, to do evil in His sight? You have killed Uriah the Hittite with the sword; you have taken his wife to be your wife, and killed him with the sword of the people of Ammon. Now therefore the sword shall never depart from your house because you have despised Me, and have taken the wife of Uriah the Hittite to be your wife."

Can God forgive any or all of these sins? YES, His mercy is extended to the repentant sinner no matter what statistic he holds- rich, poor, royalty, destitute, the filthy, the depraved, or the government leaders! His mercy is greater! But only when we ask for forgiveness sincerely with the intent of living a clean life before God.

Therefore David said in Psalm 51:5-6-(TEV)-"I have been evil from the time I was born;" (Job 14:4). "From the day of my birth I have been sinful." (Romans 5:12). "A faithful heart is what I want; fill my mind with Your Wisdom." David wanted a change and God promised a change when we are ready to turn our life around for Him.

David's cry is genuine as he cries out to God in Psalm 51:7-13-(CEB)-:

1. "Purify me with hyssop and I will be clean;". (Leviticus 14:4; Hebrews 9:19)

2. "Wash me and I shall be whiter than snow." (Isaiah 1:18)

3. "Let me hear Joy and Celebration again;"

4. "Let the bones You crushed Rejoice once more." (Matthew 5:4)

5. "Hide your face from my sins."

6. "Wipe away all my guilty deeds!" (2 Samuel 12:18-23)

7. "Create a Clean Heart for me, God;" (Genesis 1:1, the God of creation)

8. "Put a New Faithful Spirit deep inside me." (Ezekiel 18:31)

9. "Please Don't throw me out of Your Presence;"

10. "Please DON'T TAKE YOUR HOLY SPIRIT AWAY FROM ME." (Luke 11:13)

11. "Return the JOY OF YOUR SALVATION to me." (John 3:16)

12. "SUSTAIN me with a willing spirit" (2 Corinthians 3:17)

13. "Then I WILL TEACH wrongdoers Your ways and sinners will come back to You." (Psalm 40:3)

David has brought his sin in Psalm 51 to God! A comparison and accomplishment of the worst criminal heart changed to the purist life.

Psalm 51:14-15 David cries out (TEV)-"Spare my life, God my Savior, and I will gladly proclaim Your Righteousness. HELP ME TO SPEAK, LORD, AND I WILL PRAISE YOU."

He realized in verses 16-17 that God digs deeper than actions for forgiveness into the heart of the problem! (NKJV) "For You do not desire sacrifice, or else I would give it; You do not delight in burnt offering. (Samuel had already told King Saul of God's rejection of Saul as king in 1 Samuel 15:22-23 because of sin. David knew this and fears the same rejection. Psalm 34:15-16). David says, "The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit, a broken and a contrite heart-these , O God, You will not despise." (Read Psalms 34:18; 51:16; Isaiah 1:12-20; Genesis 4:1-7; John 4:21-24; and Romans 12:1-2)

At last we come to Psalm 51:18-19-(CEB)-where David said, "Do good things for Zion by Your favor. Rebuild Jerusalem's walls. Then You will again want sacrifices of righteousness- entirely burned offerings and complete offerings. Then bulls will again be sacrificed on Your altar." (Psalm 4:4-5). This was David's decision when he quit hiding and turned back to God for forgiveness.

This Psalm makes clear -There is only one thing for a repentant sinner to do, and that is to throw himself on the mercy of God where he will obtain the love and compassion of God. It is no use to try to find some good works or excuses of extenuating circumstances to help. When the sinner or transgressors recognizes his sin and comes to God, he will find that God forgives, cleanses and restores. Our forgiveness cost God the death of His only Son, Jesus Christ, beloved by God. Repentance is the sinner's guide back to forgiveness, peace with God, Joy, Blessings, and service to the KING OF KINGS.

The Psalmist David is no longer walled in by sin. The walls have been broken down and NOW A NEW WALL MUST BE BUILT-THE WALL OF FAITH AGAINST SIN! WE WERE WALLED OUT FROM GOD BY SIN BUT WE ARE NOW WALLED IN WITH GOD BY FAITH.

NEXT TIME...