Hope

Psalms 42:1-11; 43:1-5

Psalms 42 and 43 are closely connected and are credited to the Levitical singers, sons of Korah. However they may have been connected in their origin as one Psalm. They describe the cries or LAMENTS of one Levite who was living in the hills of Mizoram near Mount Hermon. He was surrounded by Gentile enemies agitating him by the Assyrian method which prevented him from access to the feasts at the temple. Temple worship was the only way they felt they could experience God's presence. He lamented the opportunity to serve and enjoy the nearness of God where God's Glory dwelled. He being a Levite was a priest of the Temple. (Read Psalm 26:8; 63:2; 84:1-4-sparrow)

So we begin Psalm 42:1-2-(NKJV)-with a painful cry from spiritual dryness during the Psalmist's test of endurance, "As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God. " The North wind of stormy adversity and the South wind of gentle blessings both blew on him as Songs of Solomon 4:16 says. (Read Hebrews 10:23-25; Matthew 18:20). Since the Temple in Jerusalem was the place of worship he was desperate to go there. He was a displaced priest. So he cried, "My soul thirsts for God, for the Living God. When shall I come and appear before God?" It is hard for a minister of God who cannot fulfill his duties as God's servant. (Read Psalms 63:1-2; 8:2; 143:6; 1 Thessalonians 1:9)

Therefore, Psalm 42:3-4 says, -(TEV)-"Day and night I cry, and tears are my only food;". (Read Psalms 80:5; 102:9). "All the time my enemies ask me, 'Where is your God?" (Read Psalms 79:10; 115:2). The insults are not against the Levite priest but aimed at God! The priest reminisces, "My heart breaks when I remember the past when I went with the crowds to the house of God, and LED them as they walked along, a happy crowd; singing and shouting praise to God." Ah, such a longing to be among them again entering happily in the community worship of God. We were happy and at peace with God. (Read Job 30:29; Psalm 100:1-2; And compare it with Acts 2:40-47; Hebrews 13:15-16). The same joy and praise-singing awaits us today as we worship God in the community of praise!

So what got you down? Problems you can't solve? People oppressing you? Financial stress for lack of food or payments due? The Psalmist knew these also! But he said in Psalm 42:5-7-(TLB)-"Why then be downcast? Why be discouraged and sad? HOPE IN GOD! (Lamentations 3:20-24; this same HOPE is repeated in Psalm 42:5 and 43:5). The priest shakes himself like a dog who has been sleeping and cries out, "I SHALL YET PRAISE HIM AGAIN. YES I SHALL AGAIN PRAISE HIM FOR HIS HELP. Yet I am standing here depressed and gloomy but I will meditate upon Your kindness to this lovely land where the Jordan River flows and where Mount Hermon and Mount Mizar stand, all Your waves and billows have gone over me, and floods of sorrow pour upon me like thundering cataract." This cataract was the waterfalls near him drowning out all but his own grief and making him feel like that was all that was above him. (Read Psalms 69:1-2; 88:7)

So he must lift himself up again and remember, Psalm 42:8-(CEB)-"By day the Lord commands His Faithful Love; by night His song is with me-a prayer to the God of my life." (Read Deuteronomy 28:2-7; Job 35:10). If we are trusting in God and He gives us songs in the night we rest in His assurance and HOPE IN GOD!

There is a mix of recognition of God's control and the enemies insults in Psalm 42:9-11a-(TEV)-"To God, my defender (Rock of foundation and protector) I say,":

1. "Why have You forgotten me?"

2. "Why must I go on suffering from the cruelties of my enemies?"

3. "I am crushed by their insults, and they keep on asking me, "

4. "Why am I so sad?"

5. "Why am I troubled?"

"How did all of this Come about," you ask! "When You are my Rock which cannot yield to the enemy? You are my protection and my defense against the enemy of my soul!" If you will notice the Psalmist here has had three lows and by the last verse three highs. He always came back to assurance in God. (NKJV)-his last words in Psalm 42:11b are, "HOPE IN GOD; FOR I SHALL YET PRAISE HIM, THE HELP OF MY COUNTENANCE AND MY GOD." Faith in God tells him that he will again worship with God's people in Jerusalem!

Psalm 43:1-2-(CEB)-we see the repetition of LAMENTS. (Again I remind you, he is bringing it to God!) :

1. "Establish JUSTICE for me, God! (Psalms 17:6-7; 26:1-2)

2. "Argue my case against ungodly people!" (Psalm 35:1)

3. "Rescue me from dishonest and unjust!" (Psalm 35:24-25)

4. "Because YOU ARE my God, my protective fortress!" (Psalms 40:11; 42:9)

5. "Why have You rejected me?" (Psalm 13:1)

6. "Why do I walk around, sad, oppressed by enemies?" (Psalm 13:2)

As he laments he answers his own questions! JUSTICE is from God; God doesn't listen to the ungodly; the dishonest and unjust have no validity; You are my God, my protector, and my fortress. But God...He is the answer!

Psalm 43:3-4 include the upbeat statements of the priest's faith in his HOPE IN GOD! "Send Your Light and Your Truth; May they lead me. And bring me back to Zion, Your Sacred Hill, and to Your Temple, where You live!" (Psalms 3:4; 100:4-5). "Then I will go to Your altar, God, because You give me Joy and Happiness; I will play my harp and sing praise to You, GOD, MY GOD!" (Psalm 149:1,3). PRAISE THE LORD! GOD IS MY GOD! Make Him yours and nothing will be too great for you no matter how it now seems. You may not see an immediate change but you will feel it!

To conclude this chapter the priest asks himself two questions. Psalm 43:5-(CEB)-"Why , I ask myself, are you so depressed? Why are you so upset inside?" (A repeat of Psalm 42:5,11). "HOPE IN GOD! (Here is that HOPE again!). "Because I will again give Him thanks, my SAVING PRESENCE AND MY GOD." Back to the central theme of HOPE BRINGS GOD'S PRESENCE AND SALVATION AND HE BECOMES MY GOD!

(NKJV)-Paul expressed the thought in 1 Corinthians 10:13-"No temptation (trial or test) has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but GOD IS FAITHFUL, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able (to bear), but with the temptation will also make a way of escape, (not just an escape, but a way of escape) that you may be able to bear it."

The Levite priest had not yet obtained the escape; but he had the assurance that he would find patience and courage to see it through until it came to fulfillment!

HOPE IN GOD AS HE IS YOUR GOD!

Next time...