Chapter 22

Rushing out the door, I hurriedly locked my door and made a hasty walk down the hall, towards the elevator. I looked down at my new cell phone and checked the time.

Today was my first day at work, and as always, I was running late. It was no surprise, really, even my birth was late. I made a habit of hitting the snooze button too many times and having absurds conflicts with myself about what outfit flattered me more, it was ridiculous, but it was unchangeable. I had tried to change. There was a time when I picked my outfit the night before and took the snooze button away from my alarms, but it never worked, I always got stuck in traffic or ended up re-doing my makeup. Today, however, wasn't the day to be late.

I had applied and thankfully, gotten the job at a daycare. I was going to sit behind a desk and welcome guests in, sign in parents and their kids, then sign them out, and handle the calls and emails that came in. It seemed pretty easy, and I got paid well too, so I wasn't complaining.

I pushed my legs to go forward, despite the ache I felt in my calves from wearing heels. Looking down, I sighed in regret from wearing my nude heels the first day. They were probably going to think that I wa-

"Shit!" I cussed when I collided with a hard chest, making me drop my phone to the ground along with my keys. "No!" I cried out and bent down to pick up my things, not noticing that the person had also bent down, making our foreheads slam into each other. "Goddammit!" I cried out again and moved back, holding my forehead, forgetting about my things and concentrating on my pounding head. "I should not be starting the day off like this." I complained, looking up to see a man holding his hand down to me, offering me help. "Thanks." I took it and stood up, dusting my black, pencil skirt off.

"So sorry, I wasn't looking where I was going and before I knew it, I had transported to heaven." The man chuckled, handing me back my car keys and phone.

"Huh?" I scrunched my eyes brows in confusion. "You know what? I'm kind of in a hurry, so sorry I ran into you, and thanks for helping me, bye!" I took back my things from his hand and side-stepped him, rushing back to my car. Pressing the button on my car keys, I swiftly unlocked it and hurried inside. Forgetting about buckling myself inside, I turned on my Malibu and sped out of my parking spot.

I felt bad for leaving the man outside without apologizing properly about our crash, but I would feel worse if I didn't make it to work on time. With such a small town, I was sure that I would see the young man again, and if I didn't, well, it's not the end of the world.

I looked around the streets, desperately trying to find the daycare until a big, bright yellow sign stood out, above the rest, declaring my destination was off to the right. I quickly took the turn and entered the parking spaces for the employees. They had already read off the rules and procedures to me, so all I had to do was start working, not like it was a tough job, the most trouble that I could have was a mad and troublesome client, but I could handle those. I had handled mafia men, I could certainly handle clients mad about a silly thing like appointments or time mix-ups.

"About time!" Cassandra, my supervisor hissed at me quietly once I entered.

"Sorry, I got caught up with traffic." I lied and looked around to see that the daycare was still empty.

"There is no traffic here, Ayva, there aren't enough people." She snickered at my lie, and I fought back my blush.

"Okay, fine, I overslept. Where's Mrs. James?" I moved behind my desk and established myself, entering my ID in the desktop computer to start my shift.

"She's in her office, she mumbled something about taking care of the payments and checks." Cassandra spoke as she moved to her seat behind me. "You're lucky she wasn't waiting for you."