He's Hot and She's Cold

Start from the beginning

She walked through the marble hallway swiftly and purposefully. Students steered away from her - the neon pink sheets in her hand a visual warning them that danger was approaching. Unknown to them was that her mind was elsewhere. Vice Principal Henderson had called her to the office for a special assignment. Knowing him, Emily could only imagine what he had in store for her.

XX

Kyle Duncan swept his hand through his bleached blonde hair and eyed the old, balding man in front of him lazily. Even though it was only his first day, Kyle sat on the sofa as if he ruled the school. He plopped his feet onto the coffee table without batting an eye. He grinned challengingly as if goading him to pick a fight.

Vice Principal Henderson winced a little when he saw his precious desk being used as a foot rest, but he let it slide. After all, this was Kyle Duncan, the son of the "corporate emperor" Brandon Duncan. While the deadline for enrollment had passed months ago, Mr. Henderson was willing to make an exception for Kyle when Mr. Duncan had "donated" 2 million dollars to the school. While Mr. Henderson had initially been doubtful about whether or not Kyle should be accepted, the money eventually won him over. It wasn't everyday 2 million dollars came rolling in. How bad could he possibly be? Rumors get out of control and no matter how notorious Kyle is known to be - he's still a student. Even if he is as bad as they make him out to be, there's only 6 more months until graduation and he'd be gone. In the end, Mr. Henderson was convinced this was a win win situation. Wiping the beads of sweat that were forming on his thin hair line, he continued where he let off.

"And, like I mentioned before, it's an absolute pleasure to have you here. I am sure that the atmosphere of this school will have wonderful influence on you. With over 200 acres of sprawling oaks and maples as your courtyard and a cathedral dating from the 18th century--Everything here exemplifies higher education amidst nature and culture. We dedicate ourselves to making every one of our students become the best in whatever they set out to be and-"No need to continue Mr. Harrison," Kyle said drily.

"It's Henderson." He corrected uncomfortably.

Kyle gave a brief, sarcastic smile, "Mr. Harrison, I get it. You got the money; you don't need to fake being thankful for having me. I'm sure my father sold me off for a hefty sum, 1 million? No, let me guess 2? Well, as my records show, there's nothing that will be pleasant about me staying here." Kyle emphasized "pleasant" sardonically and Mr. Henderson couldn't help but squirm a little in his seat.

Giving the sweating headmaster a devilish grin, Kyle stood up to leave when a knock interrupted their conversation.

"Come in," the Vice Principal weakly called out and Kyle's dark blue eyes widened at what he saw. He let out a little snort of disbelief. Was this girl for real?

A cartoon character had just walked in. Her dark brown hair was pulled into two thick braids, and her face was covered by huge, tinted tortoiseshell glasses. Her blazer was large enough to be the vice principal's, and a brown plaid skirt swung below her knees. There was an inch of skin before her legs were covered in thick wooly black socks. In her hands were various forms and fliers, and he scoffed when he made out the title of the book she was carrying. "Tuscany Academy's Guideline: Rules to abide by to be an outstanding Tuscany Owl". She was the dorkiest girl he ever saw in his life.

"Mr. Henderson, you wanted to see me?" She asked softly.

"Yes," Mr. Henderson squealed. He was staring at her as if she was his knight in shining armor, thought Kyle drily.

Kyle sighed loudly in exasperation and plopped back down on the seat. He wanted to be anywhere but here. This was his fourth transfer his senior year of high school and his father's final attempt at ensuring that Kyle wraps up his final year without a hitch before heading to Yale - his father's alma mater. In a true Duncan fashion, Kyle was plucked away from his high school in Malibu, California to this God forsaken, preppy dungeon of a high school without a warning until the day before the transfer. He felt jet lagged and cranky, and it didn't help that the old man in front of him spent at least 3 hours prattling on about the campus and another 4 hours about his extensive African art collection. And now, here was a girl who exemplified everything he loathed. A rule abiding, ass kissing girl who will probably live her life fulfilling her mommy and daddy's expectations, going to some elite university, and being the model wife to some corporate husband hosting dinners and shit before expecting her own kids to do the same boring thing. He hated it. He hated how everyone abided by this farcical system, and he hated it even more that no matter what shit he got himself into, he would be expected to do the same. Because he's a Duncan and the sole heir, no less.