Chapter 13- First Choice

Oliver P.O.V:

     Riley slowly stood up. Her cheeks we stained with tears. I furrowed my brows and tilted my head. "Are you..Are you okay?"

"Hmm?,"she looked up at me.

"You've got..,"I quickly lifted my hand and wiped her cheek with my thumb, not thinking about what I was doing.

She looked at me with rosy cheeks and embarrassed eyes.

"Uh-,"I quickly wiped the other cheek thinking I couldn't leave it that way and cleared my throat.

She looked down with a frown.

"....Why were you..crying?"

She shrugged. "I wasn't. My eyes were running."

"I watched you with Flynn for a while. You were crying-"

"What are you really here for? To tell me not to tell Flynn anything because I already know. I'm not a pussy-"

"Why do you only curse around me?"

She looked up at me. "I don't...know what you're talking about."

"I'm not stupid..I know you know that...You only curse around me...,"I nervously pushed my hands in my pockets. "Am I annoying? Did I do something that makes you hate me this much-"

She smiled then snorted shaking her head. She started walking in the sand.

I followed her. "You're not going to answer me, are you?"

She turned back and looked at me. "What do you think?"

"Riley, we're in college and you're friends with my friends so why can't we just..make up?"

"Do you want to kiss too?"

I stood then hesitated with a dropped jaw.

She giggled then turned around and continued walking.

"Riley,"I held her hand and walked beside her. "Please."

She squeezed her hand out of mine.

I grabbed it again.

Her eyes suddenly grew. She stared at me with anger in her them. "How do you expect me to make up with you when you don't even know what you've done to me?"

"What I've done to you? Before you came to my neighborhood I was fine at the park. It was the only place I went to other than church. Then you came and all you and your little school friends did was tease me for eight years. Now you're in the college I was forced to go to, and you're friends with my friends!.."

She stared at me with a frown and glossy eyes.

"..and you thi-,"I exhaled and stared at her not realizing that I was still holding her hand. "And you think that..."

"This is what I was talking about,"a tear hit her eye. "You're sweet one minute..but really...you're a mean as they come,"she tried pulling her hand away but I wouldn't let go.

"You're the bully here. Not me."

"Says the guy who's upset that I got accepted into the same college as he did-"

"I'm trying here-"

"Trying to what? Be my friend? Like this? Really? It's because you have to. You feel like you don't have a choice. Because I,"she pointed at her chest," am always the last resort,"tears started to stream down her cheeks and her face turned bleak.

I suddenly felt a pain in my chest.

"No one ever really wants me. They get stuck with me. I'm never the first choice."

"Riley, I-"

"I don't wanna hear what you have to say because I know what it's going to be. A sappy, sympathetic apology. I don't need apologies anymore... I don't want them-"

I quickly leaned over and tucked my arms under hers hugging her as tight as I could.

She held her breath and I could feel her heart beating through my skin.

"I'm sorry I hit you when we were kids...I didn't know it hurt you this much and I'm sorry it destroyed a friendship that could've been. I'm sorry I made you hate me and hurt for so long. I'm really,"I squeezed her tighter,"..really sorry. And I'm here...and I love you."

I felt little arms slowly wrapping around my back. Her tears soaked my t-shirt. I hadn't realized that she hurt that much. Whatever Flynn did brought something out of her...It set her emotions free.

*  *  *

Flynn P.O.V:

     I sat at the table staring at Oliver and Riley..wondering if she told him what she told me. By the way they were hugging, I assumed she did. I slowly lifted my phone and took a picture of them both for Harley. They reminded me of us.

I smiled then sent it to her and looked at them again.

*  *  *

Oliver P.O.V:

I stood unable to move.

She squeezed me and trembled. "I'm sorry too...,"she slowly released me, keeping her eyes on the sand. "And I love you just the same."

I don't know why, but I get butterflies when she said it. Of course she meant as a friend, but for some reason hearing it from her made me..get a feeling my large mind can't describe.

She looked up at me, then she stretched her hand out to me. "Friends?"

I looked down at her hand with furrowed brows, then I looked at her lips. A wave of stupidity..No! A tsunami, of stupidity came over me. We weren't even friends yet but I wanted to risk it..needed to. We kissed twice..Maybe the third one would get her out of my mind so I could think straight. So I could like Danny like I wanted to. And not love..like Riley. I had to go for it.

I quickly put both hand on her cheeks and smashed my lips into hers. I felt my eyebrows relax and goosebumps line my skin like icy raindrops.

Her hands slowly ran around the back of my neck. I felt her lips pressing harder against mine. She stood on her toes trying to get as close to me as possible. She felt perfect. Tasted perfect.

"Stop!,"I heard shouting but ignored it. The person quickly grabbed my arm pulled me away from her.

I looked at Flynn.

"She has a boyfriend,"he reminded me with folded arms and a disappointed look.

I looked at Riley.

She had guilt on her face. She fixed her top. "I'll see you guys tomorrow,"she looked at Flynn then me. She looked confused.

I watched her walk away.

Flynn shook his head. "Seriously man? Were you trying to make her cheat?"

"I don't know...I couldn't control myself,"I furrowed must brows.