Chapter 61 The Eye of the Moon

Start from the beginning

"Fine, but don't come whining to me when it doesn't work out."

"Well go after him already," the Eight Tails told Bee, "you know he'll only get himself in trouble."

Bee sighed. "I've been doing nothing but run. Let's grab some tails and have some fun."

The Eight Tails rolled his eyes. "You and your rhymes."

"You like my rap, it's so fine. Very original and completely mine."

"Just go after Naruto already."

"I'm going dude. No need to be rude." He jumped from the branch he'd been standing on and followed after Naruto who was already far ahead.

***

Sasuke pulled back his blade and scoffed at the sight of the dead shinobi at his feet. 'Weaklings. All of them.' No measure of camaraderie had saved them. 'So much for teammates. I knew it all along. Other people only hold you back. Protecting others makes you weak.' He glanced to the side where he head a soft whimper. There was another shinobi hiding behind the rocks.

The young shinobi shivered at the sight of the young Uchiha. He looked at Sasuke horrified and backed away even further.

"Heh," Sasuke mocked while unsheathing his katana. He took a step closer. "Are you really going to make it harder for yourself? Just give up already."

"Y-you... you killed them."

Sasuke rolled his eyes. Just his luck. This one was a complete moron. "That's war," he shrugged, "they were in my way."

"They'll stop you," the shinobi threatened, "and they'll capture and execute you."

Sasuke chuckled. "That so? Well, you won't be there to see it." He ran the man through with his katana.

"Are you done playing around now?"

Sasuke turned to Madara and scoffed. He eyed the markings on the man's body that were visible on his arms and legs. "So you used them huh."

"It's time," Madara answered, ignoring the mocking tone in the boy's voice, "they'll be here soon."

"So you're just going to wait again? Couldn't you have stayed at the hide-out then?" Sasuke snorted, his katana still at hand.

"They'll be drawn by the chakra of the tailed beasts," Madara said "and I need to be in the open to make full use of these powers." He smiled. "Don't worry. You'll get your chance with Naruto. Just remember... the Nine Tails is mine."

"I have no need for tailed beasts," Sasuke said in a bored tone and he swung his katana around. He wasn't going to let go of the weapon. He never had trusted Madara and he wasn't going to start now.

A crack of lightning pierced the sky, accompanied by a loud thunder. Madara let out a dark laugh. "I can feel it," he said greedily, "they're coming."

***

"Lee?" Gai asked worriedly when his student's eyes fluttered open, "how are you feeling?"

"Gai-sensei," the boy gasped and he winced at a jolt of pain.

"Easy Lee."

"Are you alright sensei? Where are we?"

"I'm fine. We're in the infirmary."

"Are you injured? Was I not fast enough? Kakashi-sensei... is he...?"

"What were you thinking?!" Gai barked, "didn't I tell you never to use that move again?! It could have killed you! It's a war Lee, we don't have he resources we would have had in Konoha."