Chapter 9 - Her Highness

"Excuse me, Miss Kiria?" Alicia asked as we stepped off the boat into Malie City.

"What's with the 'Miss'?" Kiria glanced back at her, taking the lead.

"My apologies. I was just wondering – where exactly would Acerola be?"

"Near Tapu Village." She replied. "We'll have to make our way to the south of the island, through Routes eleven, twelve and thirteen."

"Is it far?"

"Not necessarily. About an hour without stopping. So if you want to get there soon, I suggest you keep any complaints about walking to yourself."

"No complaints here, ma'am!" Alicia nodded, seemingly energised.

"...Right." Kiria put her hand on her hip and brushed the braided tail of her hair across her shoulder. "And you two?"

"Quiet as mice, if that's what you want." I shrugged.

"Right." She said again. "Enlighten me – what Pokemon do you have on you?"

"Just my Vulpix." Nelly said.

"I've got a Hawlucha and a Litten right now." I added.

"Mm..." Kiria reached into her pocket and pulled out a red crystal, similar to the blue one she had previously had on her wrist. "Catch."

"What's this?" I asked, plucking the crystal out of the air.

"A Z-Crystal. Firium Z."

"Aren't these supposed to be reserved for people doing trials?" I thought.

"There's no time to be picky." Kiria began moving again.

"But... We don't have Z-Rings..." Nelly pointed out.

"..." Kiria stopped and folded her arms with her back to us. "Then just hold onto it until you get one."

"All right... Thanks." I handed the crystal to Nelly so she could look at it.

"Now come on. Route eleven's down this way."

"Onwards, Minerva!" Alicia followed eagerly, her pet close to her feet.

*

From a hedge nearby, a figure watched us intently. Its eyes followed us all the way down the path to Route 11 and beyond, leaping from bush to bush in order to follow us in secret.

*

Route 11 was a short walk through a green path, with several tall trees and grass patches, and before we knew it, we were already onto Route 12, a comparatively wild, rough and rocky road. We followed the winding path around the outside of a mountain, taking care along extremely rocky terrain. Wild Mudbray and Alolan Geodude were a common sight, traversing the landscape easily. Down below was a small alcove that people were using for fishing.

"No! Bad Mareanie!" A little girl cried from the sand down there. She was cradling a Corsola in her arms as a Pokemon with a purple body obscured by blue stingers skulked away and back into the water.

"That poor girl..." Alicia observed. "Why is she so scared?"

"Mareanie eat Corsola." Kiria said bluntly without breaking stride.

"W-what?!" Alicia gasped, bringing her hands to her mouth.

"Oof..." I grimaced just thinking about it.

"That's just how it works." Kiria waved it away. Her Ninetales looked back at us, encouraging us to keep up.

There was a strong gust of warm wind that blew straight into our faces, and Nelly's hair leapt into the air.