The Way Things Have To Be

NOTE: I'm sorry to inform you that I have decided not to make a series out of this one-shot because the episodes kind of played out like I was going to write this, makes since? Again, I am very sorry! This was based off the Vampire Diaries episode "Orginal Sin"

Damon’s point of view

“Destiny has been trying to get the doppelgangers together forever. I know you don’t want to hear this, but the universe is working against you.”

Qetsiyah’s words kept replaying over and over in my head, like a VCR player does when you stop rewind, and play it again.

I tried to stop the words, but the more I tried to do that, it seemed like they just got louder. I finally gave up trying to sleep and slowly started to get out of bed, careful not to wake a sleeping Elena, who was curled up next to me. I turned around to kiss her forehead before walking out of our bedroom.

Over the past couple of days, I’ve been battling a war with myself, and that war is whether or not I should leave and never return again. I know, I know. My brother and I always leave and come back to Mystic Falls when we say we won’t. However, this time I’m serious, dead serious (No pun intended ha, ha.) Yes, you can say that witch got into my head, and as much as I love Elena, I hate to admit it, but I think Qetsiyah was right. I mean, if she wasn’t, why would Elena go back and try to save him every time she thinks he’s “in trouble?”

Elena can say what she wants about not loving Stefan as much as she does me, but I’m really starting to believe that’s not true. So, like I said, as much as I love her, I have made a decision to let her go and let her be with Stefan. I packed my things yesterday while she was out with Caroline, doing some “damage control” as she called it on her because she’s been depressed since her and Tyler broke up.

No, I am not an insensitive jerk, I am not just going to leave without saying a word, I am going to write her a letter as a good-bye. Okay, maybe I am an insensitive jerk, but put yourself in my shoes, would you want to see your girlfriend’s face when you say good-bye one final time? I think not. I couldn’t take the look on her face or pleading words to try and make me stay with her.

It’s not that I don’t want to stay with her; I just know it wouldn’t work out between us.

So here I am, sitting at my desk with paper in front of me and a pen in my hand, as ready as I’ll ever be to write the hardest letter I’ll ever have too. And yes, I know I am not the type of guy to do all of this, but when it comes to her, I am.

Dear Elena,

Where do I start this letter? Hell, I don’t even know because I’ve never wrote a letter like this before. In all honesty, I don’t think I have written a letter to anyone. However, I love you so that means I would do anything for you, including getting to the point of why I am writing this.

Elena,

You are the best thing that has happened to me. We have been through hell and back together, and I don’t know what I would do without you…

I am still beating around the bush. Damn, this is hard, so hard…

Elena,

I have to leave, and you have to be with Stefan. It’s what fate has always wanted, so go on and live a happy life with my brother, but there is something you have to know: I will never stop loving you no matter what. I won’t be returning to Mystic Falls, so you can live out your fate.

I hope one day you will forgive me.

Love always and eternity,

Damon

Once I was done pouring my emotions out, I folded the letter, put in the envelope, and wrote her name on it. In case you were wondering, yes I turned my humanity switch on for this.

I went back into the bedroom to find a still sleeping Elena. I smiled to myself and made a mental picture of her like that before closing the door, grabbing my stuff and leaving.

Elena’s point of view

I woke up to an empty bed. Damon must be already up I thought to myself.

“Damon?”  I called as I went into the hallway. I waited for an answer, but heard nothing. Where could he be? I thought to myself. I decided to call his cell phone to find out.

“The number you have reached has been disconnected. If you think this is an error, please hang up and try again.”

What? That can’t right. I called him at least ten times and still got the same message.

“Damon, where are you?” I thought to myself out loud. I walked into the living room to try and figure out what was going on. That’s when I saw it, an envelope with my name written on it in Damon’s hand writing. I opened it, took out the piece of paper inside, unfolded it and started reading it.  By the way it started with my name, I knew it wasn’t good.

By the end of the letter, it felt like I was being killed all over again. Even though I was technically dead, I still felt what every human felt with my humanity switch.

That witch got to him. I thought he said he wouldn’t let anyone tell him who to love, but I guess he lied.

Just because that witch lost the love of her life, why did she have to take mine? That wasn’t my fault and yet, I’m the one who is suffering for it?

I don’t care what fate says, I want and will be with Damon.