Chapter 14- The Log Entries

Niall put the key in the hole and turned it. We slowly opened the door and looked inside. “Nobody’s here” he said. We walked in and shut the door behind us. The room was a tiny office, there were papers all over the place, it was a mess. “Look around for any clues” he said. Niall and I started rummaging through the papers looking for anything we could find. Finally, on the desk, I saw a little book. It was locked with a small padlock. “Niall, come here” I said. He walked up to me and looked over my shoulder. “What do you think is inside?” he asked. “I have no clue, where do you think the key is?” I asked. “Look through the little shelves, maybe in there” he said. I took everything off the shelves and finally found a small key all the way in the back. “Alright, let’s see” I said. I unlocked the lock and opened the book. “It’s…almost like a diary. It’s a log on his daily activities” I said. “A log? Go to the day Anna went missing” he said. I flipped to the date and looked underneath it. I read it aloud. “Today was the day, the day that I finally was able to see her again. It may not have been her, but the resemblance was almost identical. I asked her for her name, she told me Anna. It’s pretty close to Ava, it’s pretty scary if you think about it. It’s like this girl had been sent from above in order to complete my desires. The only thing I can keep imagining is her passed out in the back seat of the truck, it’s almost like watching Ava sleep on the road trip all over again. This young girl may not be experiencing the same type of horror Ava had to, but no matter what, she will still die” I said.  I dropped the book after reading it, this guy is insane! I turned around and looked at Niall, he was frozen. “Niall?” I asked. He looked like he was about to cry, I walked up to him and laid my hand on his cheek. “Niall please, don’t cry” I said. “This…this psychopath killed my sister” he said. Tears started rolling down his face. “Niall stop. I understand what you’re going through, but you’ve gotta be strong” I said. His eyes suddenly grew angry. “You have no idea what I’m going through…you haven’t lost anything” he said. I backed up, his eyes grew soft again. He looked up at me, probably just realizing how mean he sounded. “Rae…I didn’t mean to…” I began. “It’s ok…I get it, you’re right, I have no idea” I said. I picked the book back up and turned the page. “Over the course of the next 2 weeks he talks about leaving her in the house tied up and waiting for her to be found dead. On the day she was found, he wrote all about how Ava’s death hasn’t gone unjustified…who is this Ava girl?” I asked. Niall came up next to me. “I have no clue, but whoever she was, she was important to this guy” he said. “You got that right” I heard a man say. Niall and I turned around, there was a tall, buff man standing in the doorway, we froze. He took a few steps toward us, we took a few steps back. “Finally, Niall Horan, you’ve come to avenge your sister haven’t you?” the man asked. Niall got that look of anger in his eyes again. “It was you…you killed her” he said. “Oh no, no my dear boy. I didn’t kill her…her being bound to a chair with no food or water killed her” the man said. The man pulled out a knife, Niall and I looked at each other, realizing these could be the last few breaths we take.