Chapter 10- Setting Up Camp

We had been driving for about an hour and a half already. I turned to Niall, he looked like he was about to pass out from exhaustion. “Are you sure you don’t want me to drive for a while?” I asked. “Yeah, its fine, I’m…I’m fi…” he began. Suddenly, he passed out, the car started shifting off the road. “Oh shit!” I yelled. I started shaking Niall, hoping he’d get up. “Niall! Niall! Wake up!” I yelled. I went to go grab the stirring wheel and take control, but it was too late, the car crashed into a tree. The airbags popped out, I gasped for air. After the airbags deflated, I unbuckled myself and Niall. I got out from my side and ran over to Niall’s side. I opened up the door and grabbed Niall. I lifted him up and placed him softly on the ground. I looked at his motionless body. “Niall! Are you ok? Niall!” I yelled. I shook him more, he wouldn’t wake up. “Niall please, wake up!” I yelled. I pushed down on his chest a few times. I leaned down and pressed my lips against his, blowing air into his chest. I came back up and started pushing his chest again. “Come on Niall!” I yelled. I leaned back down and pressed my lips on his. Suddenly, his eyes opened. His eyes grew wide when he saw me. When I saw him, I pulled away. “OMG! Niall, I’m sorry, I was trying to help you, it’s not what you think!” I yelled. He started laughing. “Calm down, its fine…what happened?” he asked. “You passed out” I said. “I did?” he asked. I nodded. “And then…that happened” I said. I pointed to the busted car, he jumped up and ran over to it. “Oh no, no, no, no, no, NO! How the hell are we going to get to Shannon now!?” he asked. “There’s only 1 option” I said. “And that would be?” he asked. “Walking” I said. “How long will that take?” he asked. “Let’s see…we have about 30 more miles to go…if the average person walks about 3 miles per hour…I’d say about 10 hours” I said. He looked at me as if I had 3 heads. “Did you just do all that math in your head?” he asked. “Yeah, why?” I asked. “You’re smart” he said. I laughed. “Thanks, so, it’s gonna take a while, we should start heading there now” I said. “Yeah, let’s get our things out of the trunk and go” he said. We unlocked the trunk, got our things and started walking. Luckily, nothing was damaged in the crash. After about 5 hours of just walking in silence, I looked up at the sky, it was starting to get dark. “Niall, I think we should make up a little campsite and sleep out here tonight” I said. “In the woods!? Are you nuts!?” he asked. “Well…I was a girl scout, I know what to do in order to survive a night out in the woods. Niall, it’s our only option” I said. He sighed and looked up at me. “Well, let’s set down over here” I said. We walked over to an open patch and set our stuff down. I picked up a bunch of sticks that were around us and put them in a dirt pile on the ground. “I hope you know what you’re doing” he said. “Don’t worry, I’ve done this before” I said. I grabbed 2 other sticks and started rubbing them together. “Luckily, I’m very handy with 2 sticks” I said. A few seconds later, a fire was blazing out of the ground. I looked over at him, he looked amazed. “Never could’ve done it myself” he said. I laughed, you know, I wanted to hopefully be at the hotel by now relaxing, but this isn’t so bad.