Go to the West

Two figures stood before a smaller one, separated by the bars of rock closing the mountainside prison off from the rest of the world. The two figures on the outside were male and female. The male had bright, golden hair and violet eyes, while the female had white hair and pink eyes. The two teenagers were the first people the boy sealed within the prison could ever remember seeing. He stared up at them in awe.

"... Hey, you're the one who's been calling us, right?" the girl with white hair asked with a kind smile and a soft voice.

"... What?" the boy in the prison said, confused, as he stared up at them with big golden eyes, afraid to blink in case they disappeared. "I... didn't call for anyone. Who are you?"

"Don't lie," the young man with blonde hair said sternly with a surly frown as his brow creased in annoyance. "I've heard you calling me for awhile. It's really annoying, so quit it."

"Sanzo..." the girl whispered, lifting her head to hold his gaze. The boy didn't seem to be aware of what he was doing, so there was little point in taking it out on him, but she knew her friend understood this already, so she left it at that. The young man clicked his tongue in annoyance and looked away from her.

"Instead..." he continued, nonplussed, "we'll take you with us." He held his hand out to the boy between the bars. "Since I don't see any other choice."

The girl smiled and offered the boy her hand as well. "You look like you've been in there long enough," she added gently.

The boy stared up at them, stunned. The frowning young man with gold hair shined like the sun, while the smiling girl with white hair was soft and gentle like the moon. He reached out to take their hands, and the chains around his wrists disintegrated.

In a nebulous era when the Heavens and Earth intermingled, there was a peaceful land where man and demon coexisted, the origin of civilization and faith, Shangri-La. However, at that very moment, there was a negative aura sweeping the world and the youkai had begun to go berserk. In India, far to the west of Shangri-La, there was one who commanded those youkai. But right here in China, in the heart of Shangri-La, there were those already taking steps to counter this.

A young monk with bright golden blonde hair and violet eyes, wearing loose white robes over a thin, tight-fitting sleeveless mock-turtleneck, with black fingerless gloves, and a green-bordered scroll covered in Sanskrit draped over his shoulders, stood leaning back against the outer wall of the Keiun Temple in Chang'an with a cigarette in his hand. Genjo Sanzo was very irritated, and he had felt the need to stop for a smoke on his way back before passing through the temple's gates. He looked up as a young woman with white hair dressed in the spice-colored robes of a buddhist nun approached him.

"Myoko. How was it?" he asked her, taking another drag on his cigarette.

"Just as we feared," she replied seriously with a sad sigh, peering out at him with her pink eyes from under the shade of her red umbrella. "This place is going to hell in a fast cart. All the villages and towns I passed through were the same. Things are still relatively peaceful if you travel far enough into the east, but it's only a matter of time... Has something happened here?" she asked after pausing a moment to note that he was in full ceremonial dress (headdress included) and observe his current mood. "You have two extra stress creases in your forehead, right here," she added, pointing to the space between her own eyebrows. She was a little amused by the thought that, for all the fancy trappings of his position, he looked more like a gangster than a monk at the moment.

His scowl deepened. "We've been given a mission. The Three Aspects, the Sanbutsushin, want us to do something about all this chaos, so you can bet it'll be a real pain in the ass."