The Start of an Adventure

~60 Years Later~

Bilbo and his daughter were outside, sitting on the bench in the garden. While Bilbo was smoking his pipe, Lauranna was playing with her dagger. She had her bow on the bench next to her, quiver on her back. The red-feathered arrows poked up above her shoulder for easy access. The dagger had a twin strapped to her back, under the quiver. She wore an array of forest colors. A dark green tunic was held in place by a brown belt. Dark grey leggings were slightly hidden under her black leather boots. A cloak of green and brown was on her back. The hood was currently resting on her back, allowing her black hair to fall freely in a straight curtain. Her hair was short but looked no less feminine. In her belt was an array of throwing knives, hidden under the cloak. Her green eyes were focused on the dagger on her finger, watching it carefully.

Bilbo, on the other hand, was wearing a simple white shirt with a yellow waistcoat. He was also wearing brown leggings. As all Hobbits, he wore no shoes. All Hobbits had rather large feet covered in a thick layer of hair to keep them warm. The skin was tough, as well, making it unnecessary to wear any footwear. Bilbo had his eyes closed as he let out another smoke ring.

Lauranna rolled her eyes at her father, disapproving of his smoking. Didn't he know smoking could destroy your lungs? Apparently not, as he did it without hesitation. She noticed a figure walk up and watched as the smoke ring turned into a butterfly and flew into Bilbo's face. This caused him to cough, making Lauranna snicker. Bilbo glanced at her before turning to the figure.

It was an old man dressed in grey. His silvery grey hair was rather long for a man. A pointy hat sat atop his head, grey robes hanging off his shoulders. In his hand was a wooden staff. He was on the other side of the gate, watching the two intently. Lauranna raised an eyebrow.

"Good morning," Bilbo said.

"What do you mean 'good morning'? Do you mean to wish me a good morning, or that it is a good morning whether I want it or not? Or perhaps you mean you feel good on this particular morning, or are you simply stating this is a morning to be good on?" the stranger asked.

"All of them at once," Lauranna answered for her father.

"Can we help you?" Bilbo asked.

"I am looking for someone to share in an adventure," he replied.

While Bilbo looked flustered, Lauranna felt ecstatic. An adventure?! She would finally get to see the world. It would be amazing! Of course, her father wouldn't want her running off to some dangerous quest and almost die a hundred, if not more, times. She was so excited that she barely noticed Bilbo scurrying up the steps to the door.

"To think I would've lived to be 'good morning-ed' by Belladonna Took's son, as if I was selling buttons at the door," the stranger said.

"I am sorry. Do I know you?" Bilbo asked.

"Well you know my name, but you don't remember I belong to it. I am Gandalf. And Gandalf means... me," he answered.

"Not Gandalf the Wandering Wizard that made such excellent fireworks?! Old Took used to hold them on Mid-Summer's Eve! Ha, ha! I had no idea you were still in business," Bilbo muttered.

"I'm glad to see you remember something about me, even if it's only my fireworks. Well, that's settled then. It'll be very good for you, and most amusing for me," Gandalf said. "I shall inform the others."

"Inform who...? No, wait, wait, wait. We do not want any adventures here, thank you. I suggest you try Over the Hill or Across the Water," Bilbo cried out. "Good morning."

With that, Bilbo hurried into the house, closing and locking the door. Lauranna looked at Gandalf, who was watching her intently.

"My dear, you are a Dwarf. I also advise you to make a lot of food for tonight. We are expecting at least thirteen to join us here tonight," he said, moving to the door and putting his staff near it.

The girl watched as he carved a glowing blue rune resembling an F into the green door. He turned and winked at her before moving out of the garden. She watched him leave, mulling over his words.

'You are a Dwarf. Make food for thirteen.'

She sighed and knew she had to comply with it, whether Bilbo liked it or not. She moved to the door and waited for Bilbo to open it. Once he did, she moved to the kitchen to make the food. Bilbo, of course, tried to protest, but she ignored him. She was merely following orders. Something in the back of her head told her that Gandalf was telling the truth about her being a Dwarf. She sighed again, knowing she had to wait for him to return with whoever was coming to get her questions answered.