Taking Charge

Two days of tension later, an army of Elves arrived with the men of Laketown, who were demanding enough money to rebuild Esgorath. Before Lauranna could do anything, Thorin started yelling at them to go away. An army of Dwarves appeared on the crest of a hill. The war was about to start when Lauranna took control.

    "ENOUGH!"

    Her voice carried over the entire field, effectively stopping everyone in their tracks. Heads turned to look at the angry young woman on the rampart. Thranduil smiled at her, as did Bard. Dain, though, didn't know who she was, and therefore, hated her. He growled lowly at her and was about to speak when he was rudely cut off.

    "LET ME SPEAK!" Lauranna snapped, hitting Thorin over the head and knocking him out. "I will give you what you deserve. Bard, you will get enough gold to rebuild your mens' lives. Thranduil, you will get your gems back. Dain, I am Thorin's daughter, so you might want to lower your weapon and calm down."

    Thranduil and Bard got off their horses, or elk, and walked up to the gates. Kili and Fili had helped her gather everything that the two leaders needed without Thorin noticing. The Dwarves helped their princess get the chest of gems to Thranduil and knocked down the gate to create a bridge. The Dwarves hauled over wagons of gold and gave them to Bard and his men.

    "Take your offerings and in return, help us protect the Mountain," Lauranna whispered. "An army of Orcs march on it to gain its wealth and position. Bard, get your people out of the city of Dale and get them somewhere safe. Leave your men behind to protect them should the Orcs find them. Thranduil, can you help out with that? Dain, get down here, please!"

    Dain grumbled but obliged, standing next to Thranduil and Bard, watching this young girl give strategic orders to him and the others.

    "Where should I take my people?" Bard asked.

    "Back to Lake-Town, on shore. That way you won't be to be surrounded entirely and you can find boats and other floating objects if need be. Thranduil, maybe you and Dain should send a few of your warriors to help them, as Bard's men aren't exactly trained warriors. The rest of us will make our stand in front of the Mountain. I will have the Company wait for Thorin to wake up and make sure he's in his right mind before joining the battle. You have your orders, now go carry them out," Lauranna dismissed them.

    Dain, upon seeing Thranduil and Bard bow to her, did the same before smiling at her.

    "You might be his daughter after all," he said. 

    Lauranna smirked and shook her head before returning to the Mountain with the Company. Thorin was stirring but not entirely awake.

    "What happened?" Thorin mumbles, his eyes opening blearily.

    "Not much. I knocked you out. Are you back in your right mind?" Lauranna said casually.

    "What did I do?" Thorin asked.

    "Nearly got a giant war started," his daughter replied.

    Thorin got up and flung the crown off his head. Lauranna smiled and hugged him.

    "It's good to have the grumpy, stubborn-headed, mean Thorin Oakenshield back once more," Lauranna whispered.

    "Thank you for waking me up," Thorin told her.

    "Not at all, Father," she replied.

    The Company cheered at the word, realizing that Thorin had earned his place as her father. Bilbo smiled sadly at her, believing her to choose to stay with Thorin instead after the war was over. Little did he know, she wouldn't survive the war at all.