"You don't have to go through it alone."

She shrugged, "I don't but ..."

"So I'll see you later? Pretty sure the bell is gonna ring and I don't want you to get held up in traffic."

"I'll see you later, Jax."

She walked off without me. I feel a small pain in my chest. I can't knock the feeling that its me that's the problem. She likes me, its clear that my heart is elsewhere even though I don't say it is, but maybe its just obvious.

First its the emptiness and now the feeling of loneliness ... starting to pop up again.

I walked to class early and got seated. Maliah had to double take when she walked in. I flipped her off in return.

She dropped her bag on the table, "Holy crap, you're early."

"I know." I replied dryly.

"What's wrong?"

"Hielee is being weird. Just wish she'd tell me what's wrong."

She sighed and sat down in her seat, "I think its obvious."

"What is?"

"Why she's being weird. Its cause she likes you. You're not interested. Now she needs to push you away so she can spare her feelings."

"How would you even know that?"

She rolled her eyes, "I have other friends you know. Seen it happen quite a lot."

I shrugged, "I mean I have the same thought, but it could be something else. Something tells me her home life isn't so great like mine."

"Why's that?"

"Her Mom is the only person working. You know paying for houses here is like donating your fucking soul."

"That's also very true," She said. "Just don't linger around too much. Forcing your way in never works."

I smirked, "Yeah, coming from the ultimate pusher."

"Shut up. Its different with you. You never open up."

"I open up," I argued. "Just not right away."

"Yeah, you mean ever."

"Anyways ..."

"Are you coming over?" She asked.

I spent four days at Maliah's place and to be honest I don't think I want to spend another night there right now. I feel like I need to be alone.

I shook my head, "Maybe tomorrow. "

"Tell your parents I said hi, okay?"

"Ugh. Parents."

The final bell rings, silencing us, but not my thoughts.

**

Maliah unpacks the lunch she brought for us. I yawn loudly. I'm tired as shit.

"You've done nothing, but sleep for four days. How are you tired?" She said.

I shrugged, "I don't like waking up early like some people."

She slides over a ham and cheese sandwich and a canteen of water, "You sure you're not coming?"

"Uh ...I have no reason to do either."

She shoved my shoulder, "You have a reason to go back home."

I rolled my eyes, "Whatever."

"Can you go to my locker and get the Math textbook? She asked.