14

Things between Hielee and I got a little awkward after that short conversation. She seemed to be zoned out most of the time while eating her yogurt and occasionally surfing through her phone. She attempted to assure me that she was fine, but me, out of all people, know very well when something pisses you off.

We didn't have any more real conversations after that. I was just in thought for the remainder of the time. Thinking about what the future has in store for me. I really just want to fast forward in life to the point where I'm out of my parents house and just working for me.

I was also thinking about Maliah of course which finally inspired me to check my phone. I reach toward the back seat to get my phone. One missed call and three text messages from yours truly, freckles. I'm surprised I didn't have 100 missed text messages and a search party out for me yet.

"Pick up."

"Seriously, I can't believe you missed class."

"Where are you???"

I begin to text a reply because calling Maliah right now does not sound like a good idea. She's probably fuming internally and I also don't want Hielee listening in on our conversation. She's already in an odd mood.

I texted back, "Sorry. Had a meeting with Laurie and I'm suspended for four days. Don't ask me how she came about that decision or how she can even do that, but she did."

Can't wait for this reply.

"Well .... it's not even lunch time yet." Hielee said.

"Lee we were only sitting there for about an hour and a half." I responded.

She sighed, "I swear it felt longer."

"Are you in a rush?" I asked.

"No, not really. It's just time seems to be dragging today."

I catch her drift. She's really shit at hiding her bad mood. Maybe it's better if we spend a little time apart right now. She's probably hurt or something. Putting myself in her shoes, I would be too.

"Can you drop me off home?"

She turned on the car, "Uh, yeah, sure. Are you sure?"

"Yeah. Kinda just wanna catch up on sleep for the rest of the day."

My phone vibrates in my hand as she replied with a simple, "Okay."

I open the text and read it.

"Of course. I'm not surprised and knowing you, you probably don't care. That's four days of material I have to collect for you for your classes. Where are you now?" 

I roll my eyes and text, "Home."

"You're coming over today. So don't make any plans."

Demanding much? She's lucky I can't say no to her. Saying no to Maliah is like rejecting a pizza that just came out the oven. You just don't say no, but I don't think I can take another lecture from her. I just can't. Then I have to hear about Gayden.

"Listen, I'm not down for hearing your mouth today."

"Shut up and bring clothes because you're staying over."

We hit the road. I can't wait to get out of this car now. Its really weird and awkward when Hielee is like this.

**