Chapter Eight

Just so you know, our lab report meeting is byob, but I got you covered.

The message popped up in Sidney's Google Voice tab and she immediately regretted giving Connor the number.  She squinted at "byob" with a sneaking suspicion. A frown tugged at her lips as she typed the letters into a search engine to double check the meaning.

With a small groan, Sidney leaned forward in the uncomfortable library chair and rolled her shoulders. Connor was a perpetual pain in the neck. He peppered each of his messages with asinine acronyms and texting lingo, forcing her to waste precious minutes of her study time looking up each one. She considered ignoring him, but they did still have to discuss the upcoming lab report.

Sidney: I don't have an ID, and even if I did, I'm not bringing booze to your party.

Connor: What are you talking about? Of course you shouldn't bring booze to work on a lab report. You're underage, kiddo. And we've got work to do. Smh...

Sidney gritted her teeth as she did a quick search of "smh."

Connor: Byob: bring your own book. I noticed you hadn't picked one up yet. I've got an extra.

She stared at the computer screen. She hadn't picked up an O Chem textbook yet. They were over two hundred bucks. It was a little disconcerting that Connor had noticed. Actually it was a bit embarrassing, but another feeling was swirling around in her stomach as she read his message again and laughed. A pair of frazzled juniors at the next table turned to give her an admonishing glare, but she ignored them.

She didn't have to buy the Organic Chemistry book!

Sidney: Thanks. Are you sure? How do you even have an extra one?

Connor: I inherited a couple from some guys on the team.

Team? Sidney wondered what team he was on. Connor looked pretty fit, but she hadn't really considered that he might be a jock. He just seemed like a big ol' goofball. She decided not to reveal her ignorance by asking him outright. Connor, the perpetual chatterbox, was bound to talk more about himself and she would find out soon enough.

Sidney: What time will you be ready to work on the report?

Connor: Whenever you stop by.

Sidney: So if I show up in the middle of beer pong, you'll drop everything to work on chemistry?

Connor: That's the idea.

Sidney: What time does the party start?

Connor: 9:00 PM

Sidney: I'll be there at 7

Sidney closed the free texting program with a sigh. If she could avoid the whole party scene, she'd be thrilled. She hoped Connor wasn't going to make a habit of this. Sidney couldn't tell if he just didn't want to make time for the classwork, or if he was coaxing her onto the social scene out of curiosity. Probably the latter. Sidney was bound to be of interest after Jared's glowing description of her.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the cafeteria, Sidney sat at an empty table with her pasta, sandwich,  and bowl of Captain Crunch cereal. Running with Shayna in the mornings was giving a weird appetite.

"Hey, roomie." Shayna dropped into the seat next to her with a grin. "Want to go home with me this weekend?"

"Sure. When do you leave?"

"Not until the morning. That way you don't miss out on your party." Shayna grinned devilishly.

"I plan on being out of there before anything remotely party-like happens."

"If you insist. So tell me about this lab partner. Is he cute?"

"Yeah. He's alright. A bit full of himself, but he seems nice. He's lending me a copy of the chemistry book so I don't have to buy it."

"Awesome! I think he likes you."

"Um, no. If I weren't his lab partner, he wouldn't even be talking to me. I'm definitely not his type."

"What's his type? Is he gay?"

"No, I mean, he has a little following of gorgeous leggy blondes who follow him around and drool all over him. Connor most definitely does not like me."

Shayna rolled her eyes but let Sidney change the subject. Soon they were discussing weekend plans to binge Netflix and run with Leonard. Sidney left the cafeteria feeling lighter and happier than she could ever remember feeling. She was so happy she was almost in a daze, walking back to the dorm in the warm glow of a golden September evening. She didn't notice the car that idled in the student center parking lot, or the man who sat behind its wheel, staring at her with the eyes of a hawk on its unassuming prey.