Chapter Seven

John's P.O.V.

I woke up refreshed and calm. The sunlight shone in rays through my window and coated my bed in warm patches. My body was both cold and warm and it was perfect. Until I realised that it was ten thirty and that I was 95% naked. I scrambled out of bed and got ready to make it before I remembered that I had fallen asleep on the covers. I popped the door open a crack and stuck my head out to see the ends of shoes moving around. I swallowed and shouted out, "Hey Sherlock, are we going to Bart's today?"
I craned my neck to listen for a response and heard a loud, but slightly dejected, "We have to. I need to check on my experiment." I saw his feet hurry off to the kitchen and I sighed. I hopped into the shower and got dressed in a whirlwind of speed. I was stepping quickly downstairs, hair still slightly wet, when I noticed Sherlock. Instead of being on the couch, thinking, or on his chair reading a newspaper, or cooking something dangerous, he was sitting on a kitchen stool, gazing into his mug. If I had to guess, Sherlock almost seemed sad. But he must just be lost deep in though because as far as I'd known, Sherlock didn't have very many expressive emotions. Although he could experience surprise and shock, I remembered suddenly, wincing from the memory. Now all I had to do was go down to Bart's and tell Molly that I had won. She'd ask why, and that would be awkward, but... Could I do that to Sherlock? Could I really? I was wondering what I should do, when suddenly I shook my head in surprise. What a stupid question, of course I knew what I had to do. It was simple. It might be a little straining on Sherlock, and definitely me, but I knew exactly what to do. I strode to the door and shrugged on my jacket.
"C'mon, Sherlock, let's get to Barts." Sherlock slunk off of the stool, flashed me a "No, really John?" look before pulling on his trench coat, and tightening his scarf. I opened the door for him and he strode past me briskly, never glancing back. I frowned. Unusually cold of Sherlock. I walked behind him cautiously, walking next to him silently on the sidewalk. We stopped at a café so I could buy a bagel and kept going. "Mondays are dreary." I said carefully, glancing at Sherlock out of the corner of my eye.
"Yes, I'd say so." He replied swiftly. He didn't once look at me, but I didn't mind. At least he wasn't totally avoiding me. I hoped that his demeanour was just because he had lost the bet, but I sensed a slightly deeper meaning towards his odd behaviour. But I was happy to convince myself that he was just a sore loser if it meant that I didn't have to push Sherlock for deeper answers. We finally arrived at Barts and strode in to find some new guy covering for Molly. Apparently, she had important errands to run before she could get to Barts, as when she finally did, it was almost five thirty. The moment she walked in, Sherlock stiffened, only nodding at her perky, "Hello."

Sherlock's P.O.V.

I nodded stiffly when Molly said hello. I tried not to look weird but I just couldn't make myself look at her, or even speak to her. After a few moments of all three of us just standing there awkwardly, Molly said, "So. Who, um, won the bet?" I looked down at the corpse and tried to concentrate on my calculations. But I still heard John and Molly as they carried on their conversation.

John

"Er..." I struggled to for any words and flashed a painful grin before glancing at Sherlock to see him trying to focus on his work. I grabbed his arm and yanked him over to me. He still refused to look at us and stared at the wall intensly. I cleared my throat and said, "Ok, Sherlock..."

Sherlock

"Sherlock..." I started to flush lightly, and I shut my eyes tightly, bracing myself for the worst. "...it's time for me to pay up." I heard John say. At first, the words didn't register. Then I finally realised what had just happened. John had just covered for me.

John

I had just covered for Sherlock. I wasn't about to humiliate him in front of Molly, who he saw on an almost every day basis. And I was NOT going to tell her about the fact that I kissed Sherlock. Definitely not. "Yup, that's right, Sherlock won. I just couldn't surprise him." I said quickly. I glanced at Sherlock and saw him turn his head so forcefully that I felt his burning gaze shift from the place on the wall into my eyes. He stared at me, frowning, and I shifted closer to him. Just a little bit, but he got the hint and looked away and at Molly. He flashed her his most bouyant, beautiful and fake smile imaginable, and said cheerfully,
"Yes, erm, our John here just couldn't surprise me. At all." He put specific emphasis on the last words and Molly nodded.
"I guess you have to pay him now, John." I nodded, and reached into my pocket quickly.

Sherlock

I saw him reach into his pocket and thought on my feet. "No, er, it's fine John, you don't have to pay." He looked up and stared at me quizzically, and so did Molly. I cleared my throat quickly and fished for an explanation. "Well you see, it's just that I knew that John just couldn't surprise me. So it wasn't really a fair bet, that's all. So it's fine, John." I turned to look at him directly and said deeply, "This makes us even."

John

I nodded slowly, catching on. I hadn't exposed him and so he let me off without paying. Worked for me. "Well, that's that." I said happily. Molly shrugged and moved away to pull out a corpse that Sherlock had requested. Before I could say or do anything, Sherlock grabbed my wrist and steered me as far away from Molly as possible without seeming suspicious. He leaned over and pointed at something on his corpse and said, "You didn't have to do that."
I nodded and pointed at something else and said, "Yes, I did. You wouldn't have been able to hold your head up ever again. Not to mention that it probably would've leaked into the news eventually." Both me and Sherlock shuddered and I added, "Also, Sherlock, just so we don't seem conspicuous, you might want to let go of my arm now."
As if suddenly realising, he dropped my arm quickly and said loudly, "Ah yes, thank you John, that was all." He nodded at me and winked slyly before stalking over to inspect the new batch of corpses. I strode over to the chair and sat down as I watched Molly and Sherlock compare acidic remains.

At ten thirty at night, we finally went home. Sherlock was in a much more jovial mood, and I felt good about not upsetting him. Every once in a while, when you do something good for someone, you get these warm, fuzzy feelings inside. At least, I hope that my good deed was causing these feelings. It might be dreadfully embarrassing if it wasn't. I entered the flat a little after Sherlock, and found him sitting on his chair thinking. After I bid Sherlock goodnight and went upstairs, I changed clothes and I was about to tumble into bed when I saw a ten pound note on my bed. I picked it up and examined it. It had been neatly folded in the same way the Sherlock kept his money packed tightly away. I smiled and opened my door before calling out, "Sherlock, tha-oh." I was about to thank him when I noticed that he had already gone to his room. I shrugged and folded my note before sticking it in my jacket pocket before crawling into bed. I barely had time to register that I had refolded the note in Sherlock's style before passing out.