Chapter Thirteen

((•A/N: Hey guys, soooo some people were asking me to update again haha.. And idk I felt like coming back to this story, I couldn't just leave it after giving it so much time and love... So I'll try to be more consistent with updates again from now on yeah? Love u guys <3))

Sherlocks P.O.V.

Something tapped at the edge of my consciousness. Literal tapping. I fidgeted around in my sheets before hearing louder raps against my doorframe. I cracked open one eye, thankfully, to the darkness of my closed-curtain room. I squirmed to turn and face the door. I could make out the outline of a short human. "John," I said groggily.
"Sherlock," he answered firmly. I sighed. We were going to have a talk. I pushed myself up and stretched. I let out a soft sigh and heard some shuffling from the doorframe. I was tempted to look but decided against it. "Sherlock, we need to talk." I rolled my eyes under my eyelids.
"Alright. What about?" I opened my eyes when he cleared his throat. He hadn't moved. "Are you just going to lurk in my doorway the whole time?" I asked casually. I couldn't see him clearly but I'm sure he blushed.
"No," he answered defiantly. He hesitated before taking a step in, and then a few more, before finally stopping at the end of my bed.
After a few moments of swaying on his feet, I added cautiously, "You can sit down, if you want...?" He sighed and sat down heavily.
I stood up to turn on the lights but he stopped me by saying, "No, Sherlock, don't." I stepped back to my bed and sat back down lightly, never taking my eyes off his dark form.
"What's happening, John," I asked softly.
"Sherlock, we need to talk," he repeated.
I nodded slowly, "Yes? And?" He moved a bit closer to face me, and I stayed still, unsure.
"Sherlock..." He started. I almost screamed in exasperation. 'Yes?!?' I shouted internally.
"Yes?" I asked calmly.
"I dunno what's been happening the past few days, and I don't know how I feel about it." He said quietly. I felt my chest tighten.
"I thought we were playing this by ear," I said gently.
"Yes," he said firmly. "Well..." Had he changed his mind?
"John if you want to stop, we can. Just say so." My throat tightened up next.
"No, I mean, I dunno to be honest, Sherlock." He said dejectedly. I stared down at the covers sadly.
"It's," I started. I took a deep breath before continuing, "It's fine, John." I sighed deeply. I knew it. John didn't want something, and even I wasn't totally sure. I stood up quickly to get dressed.
"Wait, Sherlock-"
"I need to change," I said stiffly. I heard him swallow loudly as I started to cross the room.
"Sherlock," he said softly as he reached out for me. Something tugged inside of me and my eyes watered. I let myself walk over to him slowly, and I sat down next to him on the bed. By now, some sunlight was filtering in through the curtains, just enough to make out his features. He looked up from the bed at me and I melted.
"John, I-" my voice cracked and before I knew it, he had pulled my face into his gently and kissed me softly on the lips. It was nice, but then I pulled away fearfully. "I don't know what you want!" I said desperately. He shook his head.
"Me neither, Sherlock," he kissed the side of my face and breathed out, "me neither." He kept his face in the side of my neck, and I stayed still although my back hurt. He touched my hair gently, playfully, and I sighed happily. Who knew so much happiness could come from John Watson?

John's P.O.V.

Sherlock moved slightly under me and I let him go. He moved away and stood up, taking his warmth with him. I hugged myself and stared at my lap. "John," I heard from above me, and as I turned to look up at him he leaned over and kissed me again. His soft warm lips on mine made my body heat up, unlike last time, and he rubbed the side of my face with his thumb softly. I reached up and pulled him down onto me, and he half crawled onto the bed, one leg to one side of me, the other still standing. I kissed him harder and he panted hotly against my mouth. His hands kneaded at my shoulders and I squeezed his hips lightly. We stayed like that, kissing slowly but deeply until rays of light leaked under the curtains. When he gently pulled away, my eyes stayed shut and in bliss. I didn't want it to end and I didn't want him to leave. But as I opened my eyes, he just pulled me up gently and hugged me tight, sometimes kissing the sides of my face lightly, sometimes brushing his lips against mine, sometimes murmuring soft things into my neck. We stood, swaying gently, my hands on his hips and his around my neck. "Ok," he said loudly, voice muffled by my shoulder, "now we need to go do things." I nodded against his head, and then just pressed my cheek against his hair. I breathed him in and nuzzled more. "Ok, or not," he added in a softer voice. "Maybe later," he breathed out happily. I hugged him tighter and he stroked my back lovingly. What a lovely way to start a morning. I thought to myself happily, 'Maybe I'll start every morning like this from now on.'

Sherlocks P.O.V.

Finally, 20 minutes later, I finally forced myself to pull away from John. I longed to stay curled up in his arms, but I knew we had things to do. As sad as this made us both, we both fully understood, and he accepted this with no complaints.

Well.

Almost no complaints.

"Sherlock," John called out as we moved quickly but casually around the flat, gathering our things to head out to Barts, "would you maybe want to grab a bite to eat later?"
I yelled back, "Yes of course, why not," and avoided eye contact. I knew what he meant.
"That's not what I meant," he added. I knew what he meant.
"When?" I asked over my shoulder.
"Uhh, tonight, 8 o'clock, this place called Lia's? It seems like a nice place to eat, and we've never been," he said quickly. I slowed to a stop.
"You mean..." I slowly turned to face him. "You mean, like a date?" I asked cautiously.
He cleared his throat and glanced away before replying, "Yes. Like a date." I swallowed. Something flittered about in my stomach.
"Alright then," I declared. I waited awkwardly beside the door as John pulled on his coat a few feet away.
As I reached for the doorknob, I heard a hasty, "No, uh, Sherlock, allow me," before John swung open the door. I almost didn't notice the soft brush of his hands against my back before walking out the door, slightly pink. Although it was nice, I had no idea where we would go from here.