32. Tension

Dearest [F/N],

Although I always knew this letter might be written, never did I imagine it would be like this.

These letters seem the only way not to be exposed to the public, and you and Yuri get a handful of that enough as it is.

I'd like you firstly to know that the interview between you and Yuri has been scrapped from the magazines and newspapers it was going to be featured in. They've only kept in what Yuri has said about the competition and there is no mention of you.

Secondly, we want you to know, that none of this is your fault. I'll be the first to apologise for what happened between Alec and Yuri. It was uncalled for, unexpected, and unfair for you to be involved. I'm sorry. We don't blame you for a thing.

I hope you're well, and happy. You deserve all the success. Congratulations also on the Broadway gig. Perhaps we'll come and watch one day. We'll certainly come and watch your movie when it is released.

I realise it wasn't long, but your time with Yuri was very important. He's come out of his shell in so many ways. Only you are responsible for that, and I thank you. I'm sorry it ended the way it did. Truly, I am.

You see, there's something important you might as well know now. We first agreed to pair you two together, not for publicity or love, but because Yuri needed a friend. He needed guidance, support to find his rhythm again. You gave it to him, in the space of a few weeks. I know now that love and cameras are the most irrelevant things in the whole world. Friendship and happiness are far, far more important; especially for the two of you.  

 The brawl with Alec was unfortunate and I wish the outcome had been different. Yuri's coping mechanisms aren't very good - he's never had to face his problems before. That is an issue that was bound to happen, and is in no way your fault.

I understand it will take a while for you to trust him again, but one day I hope you two can be friends again. You're a good person. There's hope for you. You have such a huge, bustling career ahead of you. I have complete faith that the two of you can go forward and prosper.

I cannot force love upon anyone, I know that now. Yuri will be okay. I promise. The media is a horrible place to be in the centre of, and I can only apologise for putting you two both in the centre of it. Asking you to love each other was a terrible mistake; it doesn't work that way, I know.

As I'm writing this before the Grand Prix Final, I don't know the outcome of the competition, and whenever you open this letter, I hope that whatever you're doing, that you are well. Yuri is still in hospital recovering, slowly. Whatever happens, good luck with the rest of the movie. You're a true talent, a rising star. Your company was a pleasure, your time and effort appreciated.

If ever you find yourself back in St. Petersburg, you know where to find us.

Much love,

Lilia.

* * *
"Why are they staring?"

"Just ignore them. Come on, we're nearly here."

"When will I have my phone back?"

"When all this dies down a bit."

"Why? What's been said?"

"Honestly, [F/N], it's not important."

"Then why can't I-"

"We're here," Will interrupted, opening the door before I could say another word.

Once I was outside, Will turned towards me and sighed.

"Right, so. I'll leave you to it. See you later. The taxi will be back to pick you up at eleven. Enjoy, smile, and just be your normal self."

"Okay."

I waited for him to leave, then turned towards the restaurant and walked in. Once I was in, two staff from the restaurant walked over to me: the man took my coat while the woman smiled.

"I'll take you to your seat, Miss [L/N]." And I followed her towards the booth in the back. Justin stood up as he saw me and grinned, then hugged me.

"[F/N]!" he smiled. "Please, take a seat!" He let go of me, then gestured towards the empty seat opposite him.

My heart couldn't help but stop as I saw Alec sitting there, staring. I sat down quietly, and tried to ignore him, but I still felt his eyes burning on my skin.

Justin was still smiling kindly. "So, how was your first day in Moscow?"

"It was great. I still haven't has enough time to see everything though. There's so much I want to see!"

"You could get Alec to take you around!"

Awkward silence. Say something. Before he gets suspicious that his two main actors dislike each other.

"Yeah! That would be great actually. It's a shame we're not here for too long. I don't know if we have time."

"That's true. Well, we'll just have to see how filming goes. Speaking of, how was London? I didn't really talk to you much while we were there."

"Oh, it was great, yeah. Really nice team, weren't they?"

"Yes, they were! It was great. Everything just worked so easily and quickly. So, Alec, how are you? We haven't seen you in a while." His tone of voice went less cheerful, and more stern in an instant. I shifted slightly, away from him in my seat.

Alec smirked. "I know."

But Justin quickly noticed my awkward attempt to look away and changed the subject.

"All that's not important. It's your crap, not mine Alec. Just don't let it affect your career again. You're too much of a talent to be wasted on wimps that you beat up for fun."

I could feel Alec look away and my toenails dig into the ground as I held back anger.

"Right, so, you're both ready for filming tomorrow?"

"Yeah."

"Good."

A waitress came to take our order and the rest of the night was a mixture of eating and answering the occasional question. I learnt a lot about Alec, but never was there any mention of his brother. I could only assume that talking about his ice skating brother could lead to awkward territories that I wasn't ready to talk about.

I was more than ready to be back at the hotel when we said our goodbyes and I watched Justin leave just before my taxi arrived.

But, obviously just going back and sleeping was out of the question, as Alec came rushing towards me and grabbed my arm. He said something in Russian to the driver, who started driving away.

I tried wrangling free. Alec turned to look at me. His expression was emotionless and hard to follow.

"Please, leave me alone. I'm not in the mood," I muttered.

"I think we need to talk. About Yuri."