Melancholic

My clock read 4:48 pm, in my tired state, I didn't recognize it was so late. But, nobody woke me up. Not John, no crows outside...No phone call from my boss. It was weird. When I sat up I rubbed my eyes, stretching my arms out and yawning lightly. My bed was empty other than myself, that's odd. Where's John? Maybe he went to the store, or is in the living room. So, without a minutes waiting I got out of bed and sluggishly walked to the bathroom, turning on the light and looking at myself in the mirror.

Once I was done brushing my hair into the usual bob-cut looking style I then began to apply a light layer of make-up. Nothing too heavy and nothing too little, just enough. I walked past my calendar, noticing the date. May 27th 2018. Sunday. I didn't have work today so I guess that explains the reason why I was allowed to sleep in late, but what about John? The car is still in the driveway and it seems like there's no one in the house.

...In fact, everything was quiet.

I got my shoes on and stepped outside, looking around the neighborhood around me. It was empty. Nobody was there, as far as I could tell, which was creepy cause my neighborhood is usually lively. This was a matter I had to get to the bottom to, so, I walked down the street to approach the Stalos' house, about to knock on the door, when I noticed the door was very, very slightly open. This sent a shiver down my spine. I gently pushed the door, hearing the door hinges creak as light poured into the entrance way.

"H-Hello..? Mr. Buck? Ms. Silver?" I called out to my neighbors, only to have no one respond. Their daughter moved away, this I remember, so she probably wouldn't be here either. I entered their home and searched the entire place, absolutely no one was home. I could hear my breath getting heavier, louder. This wasn't good. If they weren't home...and John wasn't here...Then where is everybody?

This thought put me into a panic, I dashed out of their house and head to the next, banging on the door, but as soon as I did, the door swung open, it was already open. What the hell? I tried the next, already open. The next, open. And across the street. Each, and every single house, their doors were open and nobody was home. This realization brought forth an extreme feeling of loneliness and defeat. "Well...At least power still works." I said to myself, trying to think of a brighter side to this.

Around 3 Hours passed since I realized it. That my home, my city, is now a ghost town. But I kept wandering, in the hopes that I would find someone, anyone. I stopped by Celtic River Park, taking a seat on a bench, right near a running fountain, spewing water into the light blue pool below. The sun, luckily, was still pretty high in the sky, but you could see that evening would soon set. I should probably go home before it gets too dark. It's already creepy enough to see that all the main roads, sidewalks and paths are empty, I don't want to experience it when it's darker, when it's night time.

At 9:28 pm I began walking home, my eyes couldn't stop staring at the empty streets, buildings and stores. It was all...Melancholic. I don't know, the thought of me unable to hang out with my friends, cuddle with my husband or even just make casual small-talk to the occasional stranger, it's...it's a sad thought. It makes me realize how important people are in our lives, how much we really need people to truly live. While these thoughts ran across my mind like a slow moving train, I arrived at the turn that would lead to my neighborhood.

It was then, I saw something. Something far off, it was near the small patch of forestry just up ahead.

People.

My heart began to race immediately. Nine people, all standing together. One of them must've noticed me, cause all the others turned around, seeing me then waving. I could hear their yelling, but not what their saying. I don't care though, I've found more human beings, life forms.

Thank god...