«Chapter 3»

BEFORE
Ashton was running around outside, his mum was inside making lunch while his grandpa watched him and his siblings. He was holding Harry in his arms as he sat in the lawn chair, looking out at their front yard.

Lauren was playing in the tiny sandbox while Ashton ran around, chasing the pretend dragons and in his mind, being the best knight he could.

He could hear barking in the distance but he didn't pay it any mind. He could see the dog on a leash, but it was straining against it, pulling with all its might to get free. He passed by that house every morning on his way to school. Sometimes he would stop to pet the dog if his mum let him.

The dog was panting and pulling fiercely to get off the chain as it watched the kids across the street play. He wanted to play as well, not be stuck out in the heat with nothing to do all day.

Ashton's mum walked outside right as the rusted chain finally broke and the dog ran towards their yard.

"Ashton!" She yelled and Ashton turned and squealed as the dog easily pushed him down to lick at his face.

The dog was no match for the 8 year old as he tried to push it off. His mum came running over just as the dog bit down on his hand. He must of been pushing too hard or something but the dog surely didn't appreciate it.

Ashton yelled and cried as the dog kept a grip on him, his arm started bleeding until finally Anne managed to push the dog off and cradle her son in her arms.

There was shouts all over as Ashton's grandpa took the other two kids inside to call an ambulance. Anne held Ashton and pushed the dog away from him every time it tried to walk towards them again.

Ashton cried and cradled his bleeding arm to his chest as his mum held him. He was shaking as he looked at the dog, all he could see now was a monster who could hurt him any chance it got.

The ambulance arrived shortly and Ashton was in too much pain to understand why his mum was yelling at the owner of the dog, telling him he was a danger and needed to be put down.

Put down where? Was the dog moving now?

The owner held the dog back by the collar as it jumped and wiggled to try and get to Ashton again. It was whining and whimpering as Ashton shied away from it.

He was loaded into the ambulance where his mum got in with him. She sat down next to him and stroked his hair to calm him down.

During all the commotion he didn't hear the whimpering voice of the dog saying over and over again, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry! I just wanted to play."

Ashton had to get multiple shots that day, along with 18 stitches.

Ashton was sure of one thing after all that; he definitely hated animals.