Kyle X Reader: Tell Me

You figured that everyone had to die one day, and it was nothing to fret over. Death was never a scary thing to you, as you never really had a reason to fear it. You had nothing to lose, nothing to worry about after your passing, nobody who really cared.

Except him.

If there were anyone on this planet who genuinely cared for you and enjoyed your company (or someone who was at least extremely good at faking it), you figured it had to be him. You couldn't see the numbers over your head, your date of death, since nobody could see their own, but you figured it was a long, long time away. Hopefully as long as Kyle's, since he was going to live to see 97 years.

However, you quickly inferred that this wasn't the case.

The day had started off odd, to say the least. You had woken up an hour past your alarms, but your parents didn't yell at you. Instead they gave you watery smiles, their eyes red rimmed as evidence that they had been crying for a while. When you had asked them what was wrong they shrugged it off and told you to get ready for school, and a sense of dread settled into the pit of your stomach.

You knew. Somewhere, in the back of your mind, you already knew that today would be your last day on Earth. There was no stopping it though, no matter how much anyone ever tried to avoid their assigned date, the Reaper would sneak up from behind to snatch their lives from shaking hands. Maybe that was why your parents didn't hover over you, trying to protect you from the inevitable.

They all knew, too. They could see the numbers over your head, eyes widening and hands moving to cover their mouths. Some even began crying, and though you didn't know them, you guessed it was still scary to see someone right before they kicked the bucket, knowing that you'd suffer the same fight under slightly different circumstances someday. The halls grew silent as you walked to class with your hands in your pockets and a lump in your throat, hushed whispers and stares of your classmates haunting your racing mind.

He looked at you when you walked in, his eyes lighting into bright emerald jewels, his smile beaming so bright you thought it might blind you. And then it faded, and he muttered a soft curse to himself, his emerald gems visibly shattering, dimming down to dull, unpolished stones. He rushed up to you, his hat having fallen off in his wake as he abruptly wrapped you up into his arms, shock encompassing his entire body as he held you as if you'd disappear at any moment. And maybe you would.

Your hands were shaking. You reciprocated his affections, smiling slightly at his promises of spending time together in your secret spot after school, his voice soft and soothing and just what you needed to hear. It felt almost hard to breathe as tears pricked the edges of your eyes, burning your nose and throat.

"Kyle, tell me... Am I dying?" Your voice sounded foreign even to yourself, the cracks evident in it and filled with fear of what his answer might be. He shuddered against you, and you could already tell that he was sobbing because you knew. "(Y/N).... o-oh god..." You sucked in a sharp breath, holding him tighter and holding back your own sobs. "I-I thought I'd be ready... I thought I could be happy for you today, but I just..." You shook your head, a small hiccup escaping you. "It's okay. It's okay, Kyle. Let's have a good day, okay?" He nodded and pulled away, wiping his tears, though his hand gripped your sleeve tightly.

Lunch was worse than the halls. People kept giving you whatever sweets or fruits that they had, and even Cartman had given you his pudding and chips, stating some bullshit about a diet. Kenny didn't stop smiling at you and cracking dirty jokes, though you could see the sadness in his serene sky blue eyes. Stan couldn't look you in the eyes, eventually getting up and rushing to the restroom with a grimace on his face, and Butters solemnly followed him, timidly claiming that he was going to retrieve the other boy.

Kyle never left your side. The girls acted kinder than usual- to the point where it was abnormal- offering to go to the mall with you later and buy you anything you wanted, no matter how different your styles were. Usually, though they weren't greedy, they'd be the ones to choose what to buy for you. You had agreed gratefully, forcing a smile onto your face. Kyle had said that he would tag along. You didn't mind.

Later on in the day, Craig had given you his lucky lighter, and you could've sworn that you heard him sniffle when he held you tightly to him. Tweek couldn't stop twitching and screaming, violent sobs rattling through his body as he clutched you like a lifeline, apologizing more times than you could count. Token had given you a grave smile, his eyes puffy as he offered to let you buy that guitar you'd been eyeing for so long with his money. You'd thanked him profusely, but he'd refused every single one, as you'd deserved at least a small present for being so great to him throughout the years. Jimmy had been telling jokes non-stop, and your stomach hurt from laughing so hard, though instead of addressing everyone with his "what a wonderful audience" line, he had said "Wow, y-you're such a great f-fr-friend."

The whole day had come down to this. Standing in a fresh new outfit from your favorite shop in the mall, crossing the street with your best friend and an ice cream cone in your hand, laughing, though the aura of melancholy never truly dissipated. You had only been a couple feet in front of him. The car horn was loud. Kyle's screams were louder. There was silence after that.

You opened your eyes to see your ceiling, looking over at your clock. It was an hour past your alarms.