25|| Nico

The third task was right around the corner. After sharing the details of the maze with Frank and Hazel, Hazel and Thalia had immediately stepped up to the task of teaching Nico the basics of the Mist.

They were sitting in an empty classroom off to the side while Ron and Hermione were practicing spells with Harry.

"Don't close your eyes," Thalia scolded Nico. "You have to see the image in front of you and see what you want them to see in your mind."

Nico scowled at her. "It's easier to concentrate."

"Yeah, it'll be a lot easier to concentrate when you're in Asphodel because you closed your eyes in the middle of a battle."

Nico rolled his eyes. "I'm not going to Asphodel."

"I did," Hazel said, an eyebrow lifted.

"That's different." Nico dismissed the topic with a wave of his hand. "Help me again." Then a thought occurred to him. "Thalia, why do you have to snap your fingers but Hazel doesn't?"

Hazel and Thalia glanced at each other. "I dunno," Thalia said thoughtfully. "I guess I'm sort of concentrating the magic into one spot so that it has a greater effect?"

"I don't have to do that because I guess I had more magic in my blood, because of my mom. And, well, Pluto kind of deals with illusions too. The whole 'the dead see what they want to see' thing," Hazel explained.

"Try my finger snap thingy," Thalia suggested. "Focus on the tips of your fingers, like it's drawing magic out of the air." She glanced around. "That shouldn't be a problem. We're surrounded by magic."

"Okay, done." Nico couldn't feel a difference, but he was focusing as hard as he could.

"Now, try turning this ink turquoise." Nico stared at the scarlet ink bottle in front of him. In his mind, he could see the scarlet ink was blue. It was so clear. He snapped his fingers. Nothing happened.

Hazel pursed her lips. "Now you know how I felt when you tried to teach me shadow-travelling last year," she said.

"This is different. You've actually shadow-travelled before. I've never done anything of this sort."

"Yes, you have," Thalia reminded him. "You have been for four years now. Every single Transfiguration class is basically a condensed form of the Mist."

Hazel's eyes lit up. "Oh, I know, try it with your wand!"

"My wand?" Nico looked down at the barely used stick. "I dunno if I'm allowed to use my wand since I chose my sword for my weapon."

"But you pulled it out in the lake." Thalia remembered Nico's very detailed account of the second task. "You could use it then."

"I didn't actually use it though," Nico said impatiently. "I was just scaring off the mer creatures."

"But no one came and stopped you," Thalia argued. "Because no one was watching. And they're not exactly going to have surveillance cameras in the maze."

Nico raised an eyebrow. "So basically, you're saying that I should cheat because I won't get caught."

"Do you want to die?" Thalia snapped impatiently. "We're losing time here. Just try it."

Nico took out his wand. "Fine." He pointed it at the ink bottle and focused.

The scarlet ink turned a bright purple color.

Hazel's eyes became unfocused again, and her forehead scrunched in concentration. Then she returned to normal and smiled.

"Yep, that's a Mist layer!"

Thalia grinned. "How do you know? It could be magic."

"Well I was just checking, to make sure," Hazel explained. "But first of all, there's no incantation for turning scarlet ink violet and there were no sparks or anything that came out of his wand."

"Violet's close," Thalia said, picking up the ink bottle. Nico let the cover drop, and the ink turned scarlet once more. He felt like he had run a mile, and used muscles that he had never known existed.

"I think I'm done for today," he said. "Let's go back to the common room."

"See you guys later," Thalia called to Hermione, who was furiously looking up a countercurse for Harry's jelly-legs.

>>>•O•<<<

"Di Angelo, Potter, the champions are congregating in the chamber off the Hall after breakfast," Professor McGonagall said, interrupting their breakfast.

"But the task's not 'till tonight!" Harry said, panic showing in his face. He clearly thought he got the time wrong.

"I'm aware of that, Potter," said McGonagall. "But the champion's families are invited to watch the final task, you know. This is simply a chance for you to greet them."

She walked away. Harry turned and gaped at Nico. "Surely not the Dursleys?"

Nico shrugged. "I dunno. I don't have any family here either. Well," he glanced at the Hufflepuff table. "Technically Hazel, but that might raise a few questions."

They entered the chamber along with Fleur, who had just stood up as they did.

"Surprise!" Harry barely had time to see before he was engulfed in a hug by Mrs. Weasley. Off to the side, Bill grinned at Nico. Nico noticed that Fleur was staring at Bill, her eyes wide.

"Nico." Nico turned to the side as Harry spoke with Mrs. Weasley and Bill. Then he spotted someone that he never thought he would see at Hogwarts.

Chiron stepped forward, his face grim. In the back of his mind, Nico wondered if the centaur ever looked anything but grim.

"Chiron," Nico smiled. "What're you doing here?"

"Right after you left," Chiron explained in Greek. "A piece of paper appeared on the table saying that it was time to send Piper, Jason, Frank, and Hazel over. So I did the same introduction and sent them on their way via Floo Powder-- again, Lady Hecate helped with the time difference. Then as soon as they vanished, I got another note saying that I could go over as well. And I thought it was time that I met up with Albus, especially since, well I couldn't back in our time. So here I am." He looked at Nico, intrigued. "I hear this is your fourth year?"

Nico nodded. "Yep." then his face grew suspicious. "What d'you mean, you can't meet up with Dumbledore in our time?"

Chiron didn't meet Nico's eyes. "I can't tell you yet. You'll find out later." then he cleared his throat and spoke in English. "Would you mind pointing me to Albus's study? I haven't been here since Odysseus was around. Don't tell the others I'm here," Chiron was suddenly sly. "And good luck on the third task."