15. Shit just got real.

Start from the beginning

"Stop wasting time", Casper scolded Wren. "Let me take over. I'll get there quicker than you on horseback."

"No! I understand your feelings, but we have no proof that anything is wrong. Having you run there would create too much commotion. Nox would undoubtedly get wind of it and I don't want to point any more attention to Art. God knows he attracts enough of that on his own."

Making his way to the field, he froze when the wind shifted and he smelled blood. Ignoring his instincts that were screaming at him to find Art, he located Prince Alexi and rode towards him.

"Don't worry, Captain", Alexi said upon his arrival. "There was a little skirmish between soldiers, but no one got seriously wounded."

The Prince saw the slight relieve on the face of the man and smiled inwardly before scraping his throat.

"Did you have news for me?"

Wren could not repress an embarrassing blush. While hasting to the field where Art would be, he completely forgot his duty. He quickly regained his composure.

"I delivered your message, Sire."

"And?" Alexi asked with raised eyebrows.

Wren shook his head.

"Damnit" Alexi muttered under his breath. "I really hoped you would be successful."

His brown eyes looked over the men and horses who were practicing with drawn swords.

"I don't know about you, Captain Wren, but I've seen enough war for a lifetime."

Before Wren could answer he asked:

"What did my father say?"

Wren averted his eyes letting out an uneasy cough.

"Eh...I have not yet spoken to the King, Your Highness."

After a few seconds of stunned silence, Alexi let out a chuckle.

"Well Captain, you surprise me. I didn't think you a man to be controlled by his wolf."

Wren glared at the Prince.

"Meaning?"

A sly smile appeared around Alexi's mouth.

"Meaning that you failed report to the King and went to find Art first, hereby ignoring your sworn duty."

Wanting to push the man a little further he looked for and locked his eyes on Art.

"I really don't blame you. He's absolutely stunning."

A warning growl escaped Wren's throat making him bow in apology.

"Don't worry about it, Captain Wren. I totally see you together and it's safe to say that his wolf is already smitten with you, but Art is really stubborn. It might take some convincing before he's willing to give you a chance."

"You know his wolf?" Wren asked surprised.

"Of course. I was there when he first turned. It was very special", Alexi said with a soft smile. "I also know about your helping him through a difficult situation?" he added with a mischievous smirk making the stoic Captain blush.

Noises on the field alerted him that the training was over.

"But let us not continue this conversation here. Such matters are to be spoken of in privacy", Alexi said before beckoning Art to come.

Immediately Wren's eyes locked on Art and he felt like a man starving hungrily taken his appearance. Had it been only twenty-four hours since he had seen him last? Because it felt like an eternity.