7 - [A Notebook] versus [A Laptop]

• Dedicated to NiceDynamite (my laptop)

A couple days ago, I used the word 'conventional' instead of the word 'convenient', for the very reason, I couldn't spell it out in my head. The word convenient is hard to spell off of memory, like separation, or harassment. An older friend of mine's got trouble with those two, and using spell check before you ask your friend how to spell something is usually the best way to get the best results.

Then again, just using your memory to, well, remember something enhances you, well, memory. So it's a win-win situation. When you want to write 'dinosaur' but you type out 'winosaur' because you just didn't read what you typed before you submitted it, is just laziness. Then again, if you're writing on paper, or a notebook, you don't have any spell check except yourself and those who also read it, and anything that's gone wrong you can just blame on human error.

Human error is a huge thing in society today, and will be forever. Even with computers, because who made computers? Humans. I read a book recently, called Cell by Stephen King ( I recommend it, it's a very good book, and it's a zombie genre thing, so it's interesting and relatable in the human sense) it was about this 'Pulse' that turned everyon'es core into survival and then they all turned into telepaths and whatnot. What I'm trying to say is that through one form of wave or radiation, some idiot in his garage threw the world to hell, whether intentionally or not.

It really boils down to human error. Most problems can be boiled down to human error. Technologic problems that is. Not really organic problems like diseases and cancer, unless humans decided, 'Hey, lets mutate a virus then kill people with it,' yeah great idea, human race. Then it gets out of hand, and you start killing people you don't mean to kill, 'Oh lordy, maybe this wasn't such a great idea after all!' but by then, everyone that can fix it is already sick or dead.

On a computer, you can save everything to a hard drive, that you can remove and put on other computers. This hard drive can be stored anywhere, (except in the sun or anywhere else hot) which is pretty damn convenient if you ask me. I guess that's why they kept the computer labs in elementary school so fucking cold: keeps the system running at tip-top shape. Which doesn't make much sense, because I always related the flow of computer information and whatnot to water. Like, it moves so fast and through one tube, that it might as well be water of some other liquid with little viscosity.

I don't really like water. I used to like to swim, when I was a younger kid, but now I don't like to swim as much; I'm scared of the water. I didn't have a near-death experience at all, or anything like that, water and I just sort of grew apart. One day I looked at it, and it stared back at me, and I had to turn my back on it.

I also don't like drinking water. It's too bland. I like to drink milk, or apple juice, or some crazy fruit drink that my mum gets on occasion that tastes really good, but looks like a mixture of sand and (our world famous) Georgia clay. It's sort of gritty too, if you don't shake it up, and that's disgusting. Like you've taken a bi ghandful of whatever's at teh bottom of the ocean, diluted it, added some fruit flavouring to it, then drank it. Eugh.

Notebooks, binders, folders, whatever, can be carried around in a bag or your arm, and can be used almost anywhere. You can just puull it out of your bag, arm, whatever, get a writing utensil like a crayon or a sharpie, and just start oing whatever yo uwant to do with it. Hangman, write a love letter, draw your favorite book character, whatever. It's so convenient and you can take it with you whever you go.

Laptops (or computers, though computer aren't as portable) though, you have to keep in a case, or your arm, because that screen is so damn fragile, you could break it or crack it if you looked at it wrong. Then there's the problem of starting up or powering on, and that takes at least a minute two. Then you have to be somewhere it's safe, like out of the rain, away rom food or drink, and then, if you want it, you have to hunt down the damned wifi password  just to access your email. A notebook is so much easier.

In the rain, under food, no wifi needed, you can use it wherever, and whenver (practically. not during the opera though or the usher will think you're being rude and kick you out) you'd like to. Pencils are great too. You can use them upside down, side ways, you can even get rid of what you wrote with that little pink square at the end of it. How convenient. I'm not here to rag on computers. I've got one of my own, and I've got a phone with all the bells and whistles. If there was a 'Pulse' I'd probably end up being one of those 'phone-crazies', as Stephen King so lightly put.

But which would you be? The 'phone-crazy' that started out as cannibals, acting like it was survival of the fittest, whoever tore out the most throats won, even if it was other 'phone-crazies'? Would you be that person who would answer the phone even though your phone said, "Unidentified Caller" or "Caller Blocked"? I probably would. I wouldn't mean to, but I wouldn't want to be rude to the person, or the viral signal that turned me into some crazy human-killing machine that would eventually 'evolve' into telepathy. The other option would be to remain as a 'normie', one of the people that either didn't have a cellphone, or it's sitting on the charger at home. A home you can't get to now with your car because all roads leading anywhere are jammed with cars from people who had cellphones. Unless, of course, you walked the whole way.