Survival Skill #8

Start from the beginning

Without warning, I clutch onto his wrist and fold his arm behind his back. He didn’t even know what happened. “Gotcha! Magic phrase, please.”

“This game was funny when we were five.”

I pull on his arm a little but not enough to hurt him.

He mumbles. “Amazing Grace.” He jerks on his arm. “Now let go. I have a rep to protect.”

I release my grip and smile. “So you’ve said.”

Wyn steps back a few inches to safety. However, the scent of his cologne lingers in the air, making me think back to all the times I could smell him on my jacket hours after he dropped me off. He rubs his shoulder and gives me a strange look. “Man, you are strong. You sure you’re not a guy trapped in a girl’s body?”

“Are you sure you’re not a guy trapped in a girl’s body?” I cover my mouth and smirk.

He puts his palm against my forehead like a church healer and pushes me backward. “Very funny.” He keeps a straight face, but I can tell he wants to laugh. He waits a few seconds. “Weeeeell? Did you find the file?”

“I did better than that.” I stare at him with a look that says, Come on, think about it.

His silly grin fades, and he throws his head back and looks at the sun. “Ah man! Come on, G.” He leans in closer and lowers his voice. “Seriously, did you steal it?”

“Does a one-legged duck swim in circles?”

Wyn ignores my joke and smacks his forehead. “You said you were going to look at it, not steal it. Captain’s gonna kill me if he finds out I helped you break into his office. Probably dock my pay too. I need that job.”

I feel bad for a second. Not only does Wyn work for Carl doing odd jobs, but ever since Wyn’s dad left when he was five, Carl’s been a stand-in father to him. I definitely don’t want to jeopardize the only male connection Wyn has ever had. He needs it. “Chill out. I didn’t break in, he left me there. There’s a difference.”

“Shoot. Tell that to Judge Huey. If you get caught, you’re on your own.”

I pluck a piece of fuzz off his shirt. “You mean, if you get caught.”

The corners of his mouth turn down. “I don’t follow.”

“I got what I needed. Now, I want to see if you can put it back,” I whisper. Adding some drama, I survey the area before sliding the file out of my bag and hold it against his chest.

“Ohhhh, no!” He backs away with his hands up, as if touching it will contaminate something. Then again, knowing Carl, he’s probably already got Wyn’s fingerprints on file, since Skyler is his daughter. “You’re whacked if you think I’m going in there with that. Besides, I already did you a favor.”

“Psst. You didn’t do me a favor, you owed me a favor.”

He leans in and pokes my shoulder with one finger. “Hey! You can’t keep holding that against me. You only changed one grade and that was over a year ago. I’ve paid you back, in more ways than one.” He winks.

I wrinkle my reddening face and lightly smack the back of his head. “Whatever. Anyway, I didn’t just change your grade; I illegally hacked into the school’s computer. So I say, eye for an eye, know what I mean?”

Wyn glares at me for a second before snatching the file out of my hand and stuffing it into his leather messenger bag. “Fine. But we’re even now. I’m puttin’ my foot down. I’m tired of doing all your dirty work.”

“If it makes you feel better, we can call it even.” I shrug and watch an older couple walk by holding hands. “At least, for now.”

“Ha! You’re dreaming. So, was the B&E worth anything? What’d you find out?”