eight: building connections

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, your house basically sabotaged our performance for two consecutive years."

"He's right. We can't join a competition where our talents are not appreciated enough. The judges are easily bribed, and it doesn't make sense anymore, for us, who are very passionate about art. So I'm sorry, Kim. There is no way you can convince our house to join anymore."  

Marielle gave me a sympathetic smile, and I can see why she's hurt about what happened before.

"Really? I'm so sorry, I have no idea. But if you can hear me out. To be honest, I'm not here, speaking for the Alpha house. I know this doesn't make sense but, let's just say, me and other houses wanted to bring forth change this year..." I trailed off nervously. 

"How can we even trust you? Marielle, don't believe her. I bet she's in on this or this must be some kind of initiation."

"Excuse me Bryan, but, why are you such a bitch?"

Marielle actually laughed at this, and as Bryan was about to retort, she raised her hand to let her speak.

"Go on, Kim."

  "Beta house is out, and they're actually giving way to you guys by not joining this year... We really wanted change and, staking your claim and rightful throne by owning that performance is the only way we know how." I finished. "I know this doesn't make sense, but you have to trust me and the boys. I think it's also time for you guys to bring back justice, right?"

Marielle actually exchanged glances with Bryan before turning back to me.

"We'll get back to you on that. Is that okay?" 

"Yes, of course. Thank you for reconsidering."

"If we do find out you're bluffing, and this is all a joke, I swear to god, you are so dead." Bryan hissed.

I glared at him and was about to say goodbye when Marielle interrupted me. She held my shoulder with a teasing smile.

"Say, why don't you perform with us during the talent show?"

"Um, what? But the Alpha...."

"Ops, if you really want to help us then, this should be a piece of cake." Bryan is obviously testing my guts.

I considered this for a moment and nodded my head. "I'll try to find a way."

Bryan raised his brow at me but I ignored him. As I was walking back to the Alpha house, I spotted Justin jogging. He smiled at me, and I waved gingerly.

He stopped, and greeted me.

"Hey."

"Hi."

"Did you talk to her?"

"If you mean Marielle, yes I've talked to her."

"And?"

"She wants me in the performance. That's like TOTAL SUICIDE MODE. The Alpha sisters will see me if I perform there." I scowled.

Justin thought about this for a moment then there was a twinkle on his eyes.

"They don't have to know it's you..."

"What do you mean?"

He just grinned widely and told me his plan. After which, we went back to the Omega house and told everyone our plan.

The funny thing is, they actually convinced Justin to join in too. Ha! Looks like I'm not the only one then.

--

The day of the competition, I'm wearing a bodycon gold dress, and getting my makeup done. We are the first performance of the night because we won last year. It's tradition.

We made a rendition of "Run the World," and "Work Bitch" by Beyonce and Britney Spears.

As always, performances from the Alpha sisters are flashy, and ... flashy. The Beta guys are up next. They were dancing to Future and Eminem. No less, flashy as well.

I checked my phone a few times if Troy chatted me, but to no avail. I don't have any signal. Dammit. It's been a while and I missed him.

I find myself watching the boys instead. My palms are sweaty, my hands are shaking. I spotted Marielle and the Omega house from the backstage. Marielle winks at me while, Bryan scoffs at me. Geez, what is his problem? They're already in their costumes. This is the day everything is about to change.

I don't know why, but my eyes focused on Justin. Damn, the boy can dance, alright. And there's this boyish charm surrounding him, no doubt lots of girls like him.

I didn't notice my surroundings, until I heard Jennifer speak.

"He's cute huh?"

"I'm sorry?"

"You've been staring at Justin for a while now."

"I just thought he can dance, that's all."

"Mhm. Just a warning. That's Nicole's ex you're messing with. He's off limits, hun. No Alpha girl can get close to him. Unless you want to taste Nicole's wrath..."

"Like I said, I have a boyfriend. Justin is just my friend." I interjected once more.

She looks at me in disbelief, and shrugs her shoulders.

"Whatever you say." I hear her mutter.

After the performance, I saw Justin look at me. He nodded at me, and I know that's our cue.

Okay, time to switch to the other side.