Not A Trace

JACK FROST WAS CONFUSED. What had happened to Elsa? Anna would’ve known about him too if she had read the book he had purposely tipped over when they found the library. He had come back to the castle the next night. He wasn’t even supposed to be there because he was never in Arendelle after Christmas ended. Never, ever had he ever come back – not even for a girl. But, Elsa was intriguing in some way. He felt as if he had some kind of special connection with her, a feeling he had never felt before. It may have been because they both had the unique gift of cryokinesis and it was just a connection that was an illusion put there by their powers: to never be too far, but never too close as well. It was a curse, but it was an unidentified curse that hid away in the corner of their minds. It was visible for everybody to see, though still hidden in plain sight.

  When he first came to the castle when everybody was sleeping serenely and the guards were doing their jobs (and never noticing the young boy who in appearance looked either eighteen or nineteen but was really much older than that because they didn’t believe in Frost) watching over Arendelle while it is dark out – much like Jack, but Jack was only to come here once a year. It was not a rule, but it was only his own choice to stay there once a year.

  He walked toward the gates with no troubles, but he hesitated when he was about to fly up there. Jack contemplated on it for a moment, and then decided not to.

  The next time he went, it was morning, December 27.  It was a day closer to the New Year. He was still not supposed to be here, although he wanted to know what had happened to her. He expected Elsa – being an obviously stubborn girl – would come back to look for him and ask what had happened. He had not just learned that she was stubborn, but he had met her before when she was a child. So delicate, but yet so fierce that her heart was not ice cold – it was burning with rage that had built up over the years.

  It was morning. He found his way into the castle when the gates opened for some special visitors who had arrived. Jack avoided going into the castle in case he had to get out and didn’t want to raise any suspicion by the castle door opening by itself, but once he found Elsa’s bedroom window he immediately regretted the decision of coming back. Well, it wasn’t very immediate – he regretted it when he noticed she didn’t remember him. Elsa was sitting on her bed, her brows furrowed in concentration. A tuft of hair got in her face, and she let out a breath which moved it a little but continued to glare at that tuft of hair.

  Is she angry at her hair? Jack wondered, I’ll never understand people. But, Elsa wasn’t people. She was like him in a way, but was still raised by people.

  Jack knocked on the window, jumping back a little because there were flakes of frost forming on the glass. He was still not used to his own actions, even if it had been more than a hundred years. Maybe in four hundred more years he would be accustomed to it. Elsa didn’t react at all at him knocking on the window as lightly as he could while her still being able to hear him. Maybe he was wrong and she was out of earshot. He knocked harder, and she still didn’t react. What if she was angry at him for leaving her still? Wait, how did she even get here all by herself?

  Those questions were better left unanswered, but Jack left and drowned in his own guilt because he thought that Elsa was ignoring him purposely. He kept coming back until it was finally the first of January. He saw Anna in the shops, and he thought that she would at least be able to see him like he thought Elsa could. He was wrong.

  And so, that was the last day Jack Frost was ever seen in Arendelle.