VIII. Bud

Sora: It was Doctor Yoo, your dad.

Shimizu: Wuuut.

Sora: That's how I met your father.

{Flashback}

I was about to jump off but I suddenly felt someone grip my arm and pulled me back. I was about to look at who did it but a punch suddenly landed on my left cheek, the punch was hard that it took me down.

Sora: DANG IT! FUU-

Doctor Yoo: I hope that punch was hard enough to wake you up in reality.

Sora: I WAS... S-So... close...

Doctor Yoo: IT'S NOT WORTH IT KIDDO!

Sora: But!-- <sobs> --tskkk... I... I... cannot <sniffs> ...

Doctor Yoo: Get up.

Sora: ...

Doctor Yoo: GET UP!

《I stood up and he led me to his clinic. He asked me why I wanna die and I told him everything. He seem to be a trustworthy person.》

Doctor Yoo: You know... uh...

Sora: Sora.

Doctor Yoo: You know, Sora. The reason why you wanted to commit suicide is so DUMB. Again, DUMB.

《I felt ashamed of myself when he said that.》

Doctor Yoo: Kid, you see this one and only bud of the plant?

《He pointed at the bud of his plant. Then I nod in agreement.》

Doctor Yoo: Do you know what this bud looks like when it blooms?

《I shook my head in dismay. Then he picked the bud off of its stem.》

Sora: Why'd you do that?

Doctor Yoo: Now the plant doesn't look so pleasing as it was and we didn't get to see the bud's true form of beauty.

Sora: ...

Doctor Yoo: Don't you see? Same goes to you. This bud represents YOU.

Sora: ...

Doctor Yoo: Sora, you're still young, too young. You still have a long way to go. You haven't discovered the true meaning of life yet--

Sora: So you're saying that I should commit suicide when I become older?

Doctor Yoo: Shush! See! That proves you're still not mature. Now listen! The bud hasn't bloom yet, so does you. We haven't seen your true potential yet. What if you end up being the one that finds the cure for cancer? Or the one that discovers life on Mars? Or the one that ends up with the most amazing spouse and family? How will you ever know your true potential if you're not there to experience it. All the people you will never meet, all the lives you won't touch, all the souls you won't inspire.

Sora: ... but my... mother <starts to break into tears>

Doctor Yoo: Don't let your negativity take over you. You only get to live once here Sora, ONCE. Live your life to the fullest. What if your mother is still out there and knew that you have commited suicide? Wouldn't it make her feel depressed and disappointed?

Sora: Tsk. I don't even know why she left me... she told me that she'll come back... I kept waiting for her for 4 years until now...

Doctor Yoo: Sora! I waited for my wife for 8 years to come back! I don't even know where she went and what she was doing during those 8 years. But atleast she's back.

...

Doctor Yoo: Sora, look on the bright side, as I noticed, everyone in this town treated you like a real part of their family. They took care of you. Would you just let it all go to waste?

Sora: I must be a burden then...

Doctor Yoo: SORA! That's not how you repay for their kindness! Instead of treating yourself as a burden, why don't you use their love for you as your inspiration to work hard and repay them for all the kind things they have done to you!

《I was shocked when I heard those words. Come to think of it, he does have a point.》

Sora: Wh-why do you all have to be so kind?...

Doctor Yoo: That's because we believe that everyone deserves to live. We gotta help each other. No one deserves to die.

Sora: What about the bad people?

Doctor Yoo: <sigh> That's... another story.

...

Doctor Yoo: Sora, you are still in your days of youth, make it fruitful. Make an unforgettable history that would inspire everyone. Be strong kid, there's still a long way ahead of you.

Sora: ...

Doctor Yoo: Now go and get some sleep, you could spent the rest of the night here. There's an extra room upstairs. Oh it's already 1:00, I'll go and take a rest now, I still have work to do for tomorrow.

《He stood up and proceeded upstairs while I just sat on the couch thinking about a lot of things.》

I remember what dad used to tell me when I was a kid...

"The future is a mystery Sora; don't you want to discover its secrets?"

Dad used to tell me that because I always lived in the past. I wasn't really looking forward to what's coming ahead of me. Now I understand.

{End of flashback}