Dangers of Boredom

They did not want to be here. Like, at all. In fact, they don't even know why exactly they're here in the first place considering the fact that it's Saturday for goodness sake, and the only thing they should be doing right now is play Mario Kart, but no. That's obviously not the case.

          Two identical pairs of chocolate ruby eyes wandered from decoration to decoration while the tinkling laughter of men and women drifted through the vast ballroom. Walls colored gold were adorned with white silk ribbons that cascaded downwards like a shimmering waterfall. Crystal chandeliers hung high upon the cream colored ceiling decorated with swirls of gold and silver. The soft, yellow light reflected from the priceless gems danced across the ceiling in a mesmerizing waltz, twinkling happily like the stars at night. Underneath this magnificent ceiling were people. Hundreds of people. Men wore suits of blackened wool tailored to perfection whilst their wrists gleamed with gold. Women, on the other hand, flaunted their delicate jewelry. Karats upon karats of diamonds adorned their necks, wrists, ears, and hair. Of course, they cladded themselves with the most expensive and extravagant dress they could possibly find. Vibrant hues of reds, deep blues, sunny yellows, and midnight purple dotted the marble floor.

          Ah, yes.

          The shining marble floor that clicked and clacked as you walked upon it. It was anything short of annoying, really. However, the two pairs of wandering eyes would most defiantly pick the sound of shoes clicking on the floor if it meant that they wouldn't hear the appalling voice of the women talking to them.

          "Oh, dearest me! Are these your children, Christiana?" asked a lady wearing a sparkling red dress. Her bright blonde hair was fashioned into tight, little ringlets that looked like the small sausages they had eaten for breakfast. The curls were pinned with even smaller bows; pink like the color of her thin lips. "My! They're twins! Aren't you two adorable?" She gave another shriek, which the twins assumed to be a laugh, but one could not be too careful in believing that these women are secretly some species of harpies in disguise, and harshly pinched the cheek of the twin standing on the right. The lucky twin, Antonio, could only give his older brother, Christopher, a pitiful look as he watched him resist the urge to smack the offending appendage off of his face. Their mother gave a small cough and the lady lets go leaving behind rosy red cheeks. Antonio stifled a laugh as he watched his brother discreetly rub the harpies' germs off from his face.

          Another lady, standing near the one with the red dress, peered closely at them with her beady grey eyes before speaking to their mother in a thick French accent, "Identical twins, oh? Are you zure zey are boys? Zey look more like little girls to me."

          Both brothers puff up offended. They most certainly do not look like little girls. And since when did they ask for this weird foreign lady's opinion?

         Christina merely gave her a polite smile. " Yes. I'm quite certain I know the gender of my children."

         The French woman opened her mouth to respond, " Vell, it is certainly a-"

          "Listen! Their gender doesn't matter does it?" the lady in red cuts in, "The real question here is why you haven't introduced them to everyone until now." She huffed and held her hands at her waist waiting for a response. "You know the rules. Everyone has to reveal their children before they reach eight, and you've waited until these two were seven. That's cutting it awfully close isn't it?"

          The air surrounding them stilled into complete and utter silence. The twins looked at the lady in red with shock. Had she lost her all of her remaining brain cells? They quickly turned to look at their mother. On the outside, they could see her pleasant smile and elegant posture. Her sleek, pitch-black hair flowed down into light curls at the small of her back. The color of it contrasted her fair, white skin perfectly like a field of snow on a winter's night. She was beautifully flawless in every single way. Not a freckle lay upon her porcelain skin, not a single hair was out of place on her pretty head, and not a hint of anger was in her stand. Of course, they were her children, and they knew better than to judge her by her looks, for a single glance at her eyes would expose her true emotions.