|| Chapter 1 ||

I had fallen asleep on the helicopter ride still leaning against Newt. I had different visions now than I did when we were in the Maze. I saw a new one and I wondered if Thomas was seeing it too.

I watched as there was almost like snowflakes falling from the sky. I could hear a dog barking. There were people shouting as a train screeched to a stop, They were barricaded in by fences.

I was being held on one shoulder of a woman, and Thomas was on the other. The lady pushed through the crowd of people until finally reaching her destination and putting us down. We were in front of a gate with men dressed in heavy artillery uniform with bulletproof vests on and breathing masks covering their faces.

"Remember... I love you... I love you Thomas and my dear little Charlotte." The lady stroked my head and brought her hand down to cup my face, she looked at us both. "I don't know why they chose you, but I know you two are special. Don't forget that. Never forget where you came from and how much we love you both."

It must be our mother... I looked at her face, her brown hair like ours, her eyes full of sorrow. Where were we? Where was our father? Did we even have one?

"Mommy, what's going on?" The young version of Thomas spoke. Our mother put her hand to his cheek.

"Don't you worry about anything, sweetheart. Everything is going to be fine. Just know that you both are going someplace that's better than here. Someplace where you will be safe from what's happening."

"What's happening? Are the crazy people coming here? Is daddy coming back with them?" It was the young version of myself who spoke up this time. Our mother just gave me a weak smile as a tear slid down her cheek.

Before she said anything else we were suddenly grabbed by a man as he hoisted us on his shoulders the same way our mother did. We screamed for her as we were carried, I never took my eyes off of my mother. From that moment we were all we had, Thomas and I only had each other...

We were put on a train with a couple of other children and other soldiers. Most of the other kids looked older than us. The soldiers held guns and didn't smile, they just stood or sat with their heads faced forward. We looked around worriedly as the other kids just stared at us. A woman reached out, putting a hand on both of our shoulders as she leaned forward to speak. In the lights we passed I could make out her white hair and slightly wrinkled face.

"Thomas, Charlotte... It's going to be okay..." and then she leaned back in her seat, smiling at us. Thomas and I looked at each other. 

I recognized her as the woman from the video when we got out of the Maze. I was beginning to wonder if this lady was really dead or if she played a trick and was still alive. What if I could still be controlled? What if-

"Char! Come on bloody wake-up! Charlotte!" I snapped my eyes open to see Newt above me, his eyes wide with worry. He pulled me up. "We have to go!" He pulled me toward the door of the helicopter, I turned frantically around to see Thomas still sleeping I motioned towards him and Minho shouted.

"I got him, just go!"

Newt pulled me out fully of the helicopter and onto the ground, keeping his hold on me as we were being pushed by the soldiers toward a massive building. The wind blew hard against my face, whipping sand that felt like pellets piercing my skin. There were spotlights searching the ground and large lights illuminating the gigantic building itself and the ground surrounding it.

He held me as I struggled to gain my balance in the soft sand. There were ear-piercing screeches that sounded like wild animals and there were gunshots sounding and soldiers yelling from behind us as we continued to run toward the building. Newt kept his hold on my arm as we ran.